Some other opinions?Just got back from Maine moose - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Some other opinions?Just got back from Maine moose

Just got home from moose hunting in Maine. There was another guy and his wife from down on the Maine sea coast using the same guide service we did. They were using .257 Weatherbys, 120 gr. bullets which the guys father-in-law told them was the perfect moose caliber? We thought with the thick hide and large bones that a moose has it would have to be a PERFECT shot to work? Sighting in it was also clear neither one was a very good shot(flinch)? WE carried a .35 Whelen and a .300 Win. mag. Anyone else think their set-up was the IDEAL moose set-up like the old man told them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Some other opinions?Just got back from Maine moose

I suspect the father-in-law read something about the 257 being Roy Weatherby's favorite cartridge and that he took it to Africa and killed a cape buffalo with one shot. I wouldn't call it ideal but I wouldn't hesitate to use it with a super premium bullet. Remember we are talking about Maine moose not the monsters like in BC or Alaska.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:28 PM

I've shot three Moose. Would I hunt them with a .257 Weatherby? Yes, with 120 Partitions. Would it be my first choice? No.
After killing three if I ever go for number four I will use a .30-06 with 200 grain bullets. You and your friend were much better armed.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 03:48 PM

To expound on my point I've shot them with 150, 170, 220, and 350 grain bullets. I've seen them shot with 150 (7mm) and 180 grain bullets. My experience FWIW leads me to desire at least a 200 grain bullet on moose.

"A 30-30 is all you need. If you use a 30-06 you'll just hit a tree" -My Grandpa
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:08 PM

<span style="font-style: italic">Capable?</span> Yes.

Ideal? No.

I'm a firm believe that a lot of American hunters tend to go overboard with their cartridge selection for a given game animal. For instance, nobody can convince me that you need anything as large as a .30-06 to cleanly drop a whitetail. It will work just fine, but it certainly isn't a minimum by any stretch. However, I'm also a firm believer that a lot of American hunters put WAY too much stock in bullet velocity (<span style="font-style: italic">see also, Roy Weatherby</span>) and expansion as a killing mechanism over bullet weight when the time for hunting a larger animal comes along.

The old buffalo hunters were lobbing huge, cast lead bullets at speeds you could measure with a sun dial, sometimes killing multiple animals with one shot. Conversely, if you send a small, lightly constructed bullet at warp speed, you can expect a lot of meat damage in a good situation, and a superficial blow-up/wounded animal in a bad one. Even a .30-06 with an improper bullet choice can go wrong. I personally watched a shoulder-shot cow elk that a buddy hit with a 165 gr. Hornady SST take off up a mountain like it had 5 good legs when the bullet failed to penetrate and drop it. That's not a bad bullet, it was just a bad choice <span style="font-style: italic">for that animal</span>. It's simply too lightly constructed for the possibility of hitting larger elk bones and the results showed it.

Yes, you can probably count on a .257 Wby driving a well-constructed bullet to do the deed, but as triggercreep stated, a 30-06 with a 200 grain bullet would be a much better choice.

I think you were significantly better equipped and more than adequately armed with the .35 Whelen and .300 Win Mag choices than a guy using a .257 Wby mag.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 04:29 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I'm on board with the majority thus far...

CAN that 257 Roy work on a moose? Sure.

Would I personally choose to use it? Nope. Not even on a dare. It could work, but if I'm putting my time off, my money, and my effort on the line, I want something with a little more margin built into it in my hands when my moment comes.

One of the reasons I tend to select more substantial cartridges than needed for deer is that I am usually pretty confident that I will get an opportunity at whatever it is I'm hunting. At some point. I may well only get one chance, and it may not be an ideal shot angle or distance or whatever. So I want something that's up to the task when things aren't perfect.

Now, don't take that to mean "I'll take Texas Heart Shots at 700 yards because I have a [cartridge designation here]."

What that means is when I see my buck I want to shoot and he's at 200 yards quartering at me, I want a round that I feel very confident will bust through the shoulder and get to the lungs and out the far side.

And what gives me comfort of mind that such will happen can and will differ from what will make others feel comfortable.

For a moose hunt, I'd have been quite pleased with a 35 Whelen in my hands. I think that's an excellent choice, although I've never hunted moose. Mooses? Meese?

Anyway....I also agree better choices for that application exist.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:39 AM

Keep in mind it used to be a common practice among the native tribes in Canada to shoot a Moose through the lungs with a .22 rimfire and follow it around until it collapsed. So you can kill a Moose with any cartridge. But you can't dump a moose with any cartridge and the place where he is standing may be a lot more convenient than the place he will run to. Take enough gun to drop them in short order because it really bites when they make it to thick brush or water.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 01:57 AM
The Man

FYI The 6.5 x 55 is the most popular moose cartridge in Sweden. Similar but less powerful than the Wby.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface
FYI The 6.5 x 55 is the most popular moose cartridge in Sweden. Similar but less powerful than the Wby.
I used to talk to a Swede about Moose hunting on social media. He told me the .30-06 surpassed the 6.5 Swede long ago. He liked a .300 RUM and a .450 Marlin.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 09:40 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

A 140 from a 264 is a significant upgrade from a 120 in a 257.

The Weatherby is able to kill the moose, I've no doubt.

I'd want a bigger bullet, personally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page