The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any knowledge regarding Zastava rifles? It is a very stylish rifle. I have one but I don't know the caliber. I have it narrowed down to the 25 cal. range. 25-06 brass will not allow the bolt to close. Close but not close. I am thinking possibly a 257 Roberts. Serbia made. Is a bolt action and appears to hold 4 in the mag. I tried the two suppliers who import the weapon; however, neither have records on the serial number. It is not stamped with the caliber. I removed the stock to check not numbers none. A local gunsmith tells me he can make a chamber casting, but is not always able to determine for sure.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You could make this a fun project and do a chamber casting yourself with Cerrosafe. Then take your measurements and start researching.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser would be my guess. Casting is the best thing to do. I WOULD NOT do any kind of trial/error testing which appears to be where you were headed.

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not prepared to fire a round until I am sure. A 6.5X55 is my second GUESS so far. My investigation was to narrow down the possibilities.
It appears a .244 bullet is to small when place at the muzzle and a 270 is too large. Therefore in the .25 range?? Reviewing the Zastava site the there is no real match of the action nor safety. Of the choices it shows mags. as 5+1, 4+1 and 3+1. This gun has a 4+1 and the list only shows .243 & .308 of which it is neither. This gun appears to be a replica of a Weatherby Vanguard. It has a safety on the right side which flips up and down and is longer than I have seen on other guns.

·
Registered
555 Posts
A .25 cal bullet will fit snugly into most 6.5 caliber barrels. So, if a .25 cal bullet can be dropped into the barrel or pushed in (not hammered in) and a 6.5 bullet cannot, it is likely a 6.5 barrel. If the .25 cal bullet does not drop/push in without much difficulty, it is likely a .25 barrel. With no markings on the barrel, I'm guessing it was rebarreled so you are not likely to find an answer via serial number.

I think slugging the barrel and a chamber cast are the safest options for determining what you have.

I'm not sure what you are calling "close" in terms of chambering a 25-06 cartridge. Neither a .257 Roberts or 6.5 Swede chamber should come anywhere near being able to close the bolt on a .26-06 cartridge.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Anyone have any knowledge regarding Zastava rifles? It is a very stylish rifle. I have one but I don't know the caliber. I have it narrowed down to the 25 cal. range. 25-06 brass will not allow the bolt to close. Close but not close. I am thinking possibly a 257 Roberts. Serbia made. Is a bolt action and appears to hold 4 in the mag. I tried the two suppliers who import the weapon; however, neither have records on the serial number. It is not stamped with the caliber. I removed the stock to check not numbers none. A local gunsmith tells me he can make a chamber casting, but is not always able to determine for sure.
Might it be this one? Sporting rifle M70 Standard | Zastava-arms

Or this one? Sporting Rifle M70 American Style | Zastava-arms

Technical Characteristics tab show what they chamber in.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Not prepared to fire a round until I am sure. A 6.5X55 is my second GUESS so far. My investigation was to narrow down the possibilities.
It appears a .244 bullet is to small when place at the muzzle and a 270 is too large. Therefore in the .25 range?? Reviewing the Zastava site the there is no real match of the action nor safety. Of the choices it shows mags. as 5+1, 4+1 and 3+1. This gun has a 4+1 and the list only shows .243 & .308 of which it is neither. This gun appears to be a replica of a Weatherby Vanguard. It has a safety on the right side which flips up and down and is longer than I have seen on other guns.
The Vanguard the the Zastava are based on mauser actions(as are many other rifles) so there may be some similarities. Is this a newer gun or an old military surplus sort of rifle? Some pictures may be helpful.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
If it was mine I would take it to a competent gunsmith who has the proper pins, gauges, and tools to accurately measure the bore and chamber.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Zastava sold rifles AND actions.

Guessing someone bought an action and had the gun built from there. So it could be ANYTHING.

Cast the chamber and be SURE of what you have.

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zastava sold rifles AND actions.

Guessing someone bought an action and had the gun built from there. So it could be ANYTHING.

Cast the chamber and be SURE of what you have.
Might be something the that. The gun belongs to by buddies widow. He was a gun smith.

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well solved the problem. It appears based on a chamber cast that it is just 2,000 short of a 2506. However the barrel and chamber are in poor shape due to heavy use and shooting very hot rounds. Shame beautiful gun.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well solved the problem. It appears based on a chamber cast that it is just 2,000 short of a 2506. However the barrel and chamber are in poor shape due to heavy use and shooting very hot rounds. Shame beautiful gun.
Is it possible that the barrel was set back because of the issues but never finish reamed back to spec? In any case, as long as the chamber isn't too far gone, this rifle sounds like a good candidate to become a 338-06 or 35 Whelen via rebore and rechamber. Both conversions would likely remove enough material from the neck/throat area to clean up the chamber and certainly enough from the bore unless it has been truly destroyed. Obviously a complete rebarrel is the other option.

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update; I am advised the cal. is a 25 Krag and as said before the chamber and lower part of the barrel are shot out.

I currently have 300 rounds of reloads as FN 147 GR. FMJ WIN LR Primer, FC Brass loaded with 44.0 gr. IMR 4895 and formed to fit a rifle I do not have. Is it possible to have a new 308 barrel with the chamber sized to fit my reload?

Is that a heavy load for the bullet and round? Is this a feasible route to go?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts