The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went over to my favorite archery shop today (Lancaster Archery Supply) and shot the same arrow (I think 340 gr.) out of a Z7 and a Monster 7. I will buy one of these bows this summer. The Monster 7 was set @ 61.8 draw weight, 28" draw length, and had a prong-type arrow rest . The Z7 was set @ 60.0 draw weight, 28.5 draw length, and used a whisker biscuit rest. I would have thought the Monster 7 would have shot faster, but it didn't. The Z7 beat it 275 - 268.

Any thoughts or explanations on why this is so???

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spur said:
The Monster shot 15 fps faster than the Z7 when I tried them out.
Was yours the Monster 7 or one of the other Monster models??? I was very careful to keep all things as equal as possible.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Susqyman said:
Went over to my favorite archery shop today (Lancaster Archery Supply) and shot the same arrow (I think 340 gr.) out of a Z7 and a Monster 7. I will buy one of these bows this summer. The Monster 7 was set @ 61.8 draw weight, 28" draw length, and had a prong-type arrow rest . The Z7 was set @ 60.0 draw weight, 28.5 draw length, and used a whisker biscuit rest. I would have thought the Monster 7 would have shot faster, but it didn't. The Z7 beat it 275 - 268.

Any thoughts or explanations on why this is so???
First off, approx. 5 of the 7 feet per second that the z7 was faster was because it was a half inch longer draw. Secondly, the IBO rating is with a 30 inch cam. In the shorter draw lengths, it could be, that the z7 cam is more efficient, better suited for shorter draw lengths than the monster.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I have a M7, initially had a Z7 on order until this was released
. I don't recall the numbers now, but at my specs 60# 29", the M7 was faster thru the chronograph. M7 is a fine shooting bow, never would have levied that opinion upon the original Monster. I took a doe with it in January. Looking forward to trying it on a

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just bought the z7 2months ago. I am shooting 412 grain arows that is with field tip 29 in draw and 65# and it was chronographed at 298-300. I love the bow it felt more comfortable to me than the monster 7

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Those numbers seem low since that isn't a real heavy arrow? Every bow I ever owned would shoot the ASA speed limit of 286 fps at 62#, 29" draw. Finally got my rest today and put it on the Z7 and shot a few at 20 yds. It seems faster than my LX but could have fooled me cause it is SO MUCH quieter than any bow I ever shot?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
5pennies24 said:
I just bought the z7 2months ago. I am shooting 412 grain arows that is with field tip 29 in draw and 65# and it was chronographed at 298-300. I love the bow it felt more comfortable to me than the monster 7
You must have got a good one. With those specs your shooting around 10fps above IBO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts