The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhhhh, I feel like screaming. My idiot beagle thought he could take on a bull terrier Saturday and has since been holding his back leg off the ground. Now he's out of commission 3-6 months with a torn ACL !!!!!!!!! Every time I see him I just feel like screaming!! There goes my season!!!!!! Sorry for all the exclamation points but I am beyond po'd. Oh yeah, I also get to spend $1500 bucks to NOT go rabbit hunting!

·
Registered
12,415 Posts
We have 4 dogs. Mostly dumpers. The various traits and what some will try to take on always amazes me. A big black shephard, shouldn't be a wuss and a little jack russel that thinks she can take on a full grown bull are quite th opposite of what I would expect. The beagles we have had are great for barking and howling at anything and everything, but to actually take something on like that is another. I have seen our stupid beagle on the trail arfing away, run right past a rabbit.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
We have 4 dogs. Mostly dumpers. The various traits and what some will try to take on always amazes me. A big black shephard, shouldn't be a wuss and a little jack russel that thinks she can take on a full grown bull are quite th opposite of what I would expect. The beagles we have had are great for barking and howling at anything and everything, but to actually take something on like that is another. I have seen our stupid beagle on the trail arfing away, run right past a rabbit.
Was that beagle trained by timb..........................ah...........................never mind.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thats a tough break, but don't be too hard on the dog. Dogs will be dogs.

Did your dog start it? I've never met a beagle that would go after other dogs.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Sorry to hear that...my lab torn both and was out for 1full year....bad news is after first was torn dr said the other may tear...he was right..it was a long process of theraphy..walking and swimming...but it made her a stronger retriever...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Man that stinks, you need another dog or two for just such times...never know what will happen.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
BearKlr,
Bummer for sure, take care of your dog. You just ran ito one of the reason I won 6 Grouse dogs, sooner or later
an injury of some kind puts a single dog down for the season. Might consider pucking up another dog.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually do have two other dogs and my brother has the litter mate to the one that's injured so we do have three to run. What stinks though is that the other three don't live with me. This one is my buddy and stays in the house with me so we have a special bond. It just won't be the same if I can't hear him out there with the rest of the pack. Unfortunately, the bull terrier he thought he was tougher than is mine also and the beagle definitely started it. My terrier didn't even bite back or anything, just pushed him around. The beagle was getting pretty aggressive and we had him fixed weeks ago and he's been a completely different dog until this last incident.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Probably just wanted back his. . . nevermind. Tough break that's unfortunately part of the game (however usually happens in the field) I hope he mends up quick for you. Was the vet able to figure out the injury by manipulating the leg or did he do some imagery?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He manipulated the leg and said he is pretty sure that it's s torn ACL but asked us to take him for x-rays. We started seeing a new vet and they're in the process of building his office so he doesn't have everything yet. We're taking him for images next week to see how it goes. Funny thing is that he seems to be getting better. This morning he was sprinting around the house and jumping up on all the furniture. Then he'll walk on it and out of nowhere he'll lift it off the ground again, it's really weird. I've been trying to stop him from running whenever I catch him but it's tough.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I dont think an x-ray will show a torn acl. make sure the vet is 100% the acl is torn. My old vet told me mine had a tear but wasnt 100% certain. Had an mri done and her leg was fine. Long story short was I got a 2nd opinion and we put her on Doxy and the problem went away. Get a 2nd opinion before you cut open your dog.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I hear you. My GSP tried to take on a moving vehicle last week. He spent 2 days at the Vet and is still recovering. No broken bones, but concussion and chest trauma and he's limping. We hope to be hunting soon. $2,000 in vet bills.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My wife is making an appt today and I will make sure I talk to the vet and tell him that if he does any imaging I want to be sure it's something that will definitely identify an ACL tear. I don't want to pay for images that won't be useful. I'll also ask about doxy as this is the first I'm hearing about this. They have him on Rimadyl right now.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: You've GOT to be kidding me! (quick update)

OK, so I just had a lengthy conversation with a new vet we're trying to discuss all of the options for getting an accurate diagnosis on the ACL. I mentioned MRI to him and he said I could definitely decide to go the MRI route but they are very expensive and are actually not needed to diagnose a torn ACL in a canine. He said that ACL tears can be diagnosed with very good accuracy using their hands and fingers to manipulate the knee. He said that this can also be done in humans but most docs order an MRI becuase it's easy and insurance usually pays for it. I then explained to him how this has happened twice before and each time he was over it in a matter of days and back to normal. This got him thinking as he said that typically with a torn ACL you'll always see some sort of limping and a the dog won't typically run around full speed leaping over couches which is what chase is back to doing. It's weird that he'll hold his leg completely off the ground for a day or two and then a day later he's running through the house like a madman. When I explained this to the vet he said that what it really sounds like isn't an ACL tear but rather a luxating patella (sliding kneecap). He said that this is extremely common in small dogs (yorkies, pomeranians etc..) and in most cases it never bothers this type of dog. He said that you can literally at times just slide the kneecap in and out and the dog has no idea as long as they live. However, he said when the dogs start getting a little bigger a sliding kneecap can be quite painful when it slides out. He has hunted over dogs and continues to own hunting dogs and said he has seen dogs running already and yelp and start going on three legs. Then, a short while later they yelp again and they're back on four. This is the kneecap sliding in and out of place. He said that he now thinks Chase has a luxating patella that is sliding out when he rough houses with buster. He then has to wait for it to slide back in and the inflamation to go down and he's back to normal until the next time he dislocates it. If this is the case then he won't need surgery and it can be managed with meds (keep your fingers crossed). He said he does still want to take an x-ray and put him under minor sedation to diagnose it 100%. The x-ray will let him look at the kneecap and look for early stage arthritis from the injury and the minor sedation will allow him to properly manipulate the leg to evaluate the ACL. He said he prefers to do this in smaller dogs because if his knee is in fact out of place then all it would take is a small sliding of the femur to really tear the ACL. Also, if he has a partial tear then any sudden moves while he's manipulating the leg could completely tear it in a dog chase's size. I must say that I feel super confident in this vet after talking to him as he really sounded like he knew what he was doing and steered me in the right direction to make the right decision without letting me waste a ton of money without reason.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts