They have to get a mentored youth license that costs $2.70
I believe but once they have it they can hunt in all of the
squirrel seasons and hunt some other game animals also. I
think they get a buck tag, spring turkey tag, and can hunt
groundhogs and coyotes also.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
— A Mentored Youth can hunt only squirrels, groundhogs, coyotes, antlered only deer (youngsters are required to follow the same antler
restrictions as a junior license holder, which is one antler of three or more inches in length or one antler with at least two points) and turkeys
(spring season only) in any of their respective seasons, and must follow daily and field possession bag limits for each species (one antlered deer
and one bearded turkey per license year).
— A Mentored Youth is eligible to hunt during any special youth hunting seasons that apply to any eligible Mentored Youth hunt species.
(Youngsters under 12 cannot hunt during the Special Antlerless Firearms season in mid-October that is open to Junior License holders because
antlered deer are not legal game during that season and they cannot possess an antlerless license.)

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I believe to be mentored one must be under the age of 12 and have a mentored license. Once the age of 12 years has been reached a youth license is in order.

16 year olds are youth license holders and can hunt on their own.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You cannot mentor yourself.
Mentored hunting is only for those youths who are under 12 years of age.

·
Super Moderator
4,582 Posts
My son has his mentored youth permit and will be hunting 10/10 after I get back from hunting with my crossbow.He will be using my old Winchester 22 octagon barreled pump.He may use the old Ithaca featherweight 20 gauge.It will be his choice.He will get shooting but if he uses the 22 I won't have to clean as many.Lol.He is a good shot but a shotgun beats a 22 in getting small game any day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts