The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a .22 rifle for the kids. I'm looking for recommendation or pros and cons on different models. I'm not interested in semi autos. I'm leaning toward a Henry lever action. My only concern is there being no saftey. I'm almost thinking it would be better teaching kids with this rifle as to something else.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Crickett is a pain to load. Savage also has a bolt action single shot out that is a tad easier to load .I have both

·
Registered
818 Posts
The Ruger American compact is a neat little rifle that my grandkids love to shoot. It's a bolt gun that comes with two stocks, a short and a long. I never change the stock, the short one works for everyone. It takes the same magazines as the 10-22.
Couple it up with CCI Quiet 22 ammo and you have an excellent training tool for kids.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
The Ruger American compact is a neat little rifle that my grandkids love to shoot. It's a bolt gun that comes with two stocks, a short and a long. I never change the stock, the short one works for everyone. It takes the same magazines as the 10-22.
Couple it up with CCI Quiet 22 ammo and you have an excellent training tool for kids.
lol ..this is same set up i got 4 my kids...love it quiet

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I got my son a youth model Stevens bolt action. Its a great rifle and a tack driver. He's been shooting squirrels with it for the last 3 years.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
Crickets are just a pain.Roger americans are nice but a little heavy for a small kid.Marlin makes a nice cheap youth 22 that comes with a single shot and 7 shot clip.I went through all three and the Marlin was the best for a small kid.

·
Registered
25,518 Posts
Another vote for the Ruger American "youth" version, with interchangeable length of pull inserts for the stock. Kid grows, install the longer insert - or let it be. Most rifles intended for small kids, become all but useless once the kid gets bigger. They will not outgrow the Ruger.

I have the "adult" version that comes with a longer barrel and really love it. That one also has stock inserts, but they only change it from low comb to high comb (for a scope).

Drilled/tapped for Weaver-style scope bases, which is what I used on mine, but they also have 3/8" dovetail grooves if you want to use rim fire scope mounts. Fiber optic open sights and as noted, rifle uses the same rotary magazines as the 10/22 does. Already have 10/22s, so now have lots of magazines.

Adjustable trigger and feels right in the weight department. That weight will build up their little chicken arms over time, Doug. So it really isn't too heavy for most kids.

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts