The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal. My son will turn 12 on the 2nd of November next year. My question is..... Do I buy him a mentored youth license so he can hunt archery and the youth doe season then buy his youth license when he turns 12? How do I handle this? Not sure what to do here...... Thumper

·
Super Moderator
29,552 Posts
I think you can purchase his license earlier, provided he takes the hunter safety course, so you can send for anterless tags. He won't be able to use the license or doe tags until he's 12, but he can get the Mentored permit for use until his birthday.

·
6,466 Posts
he will need both....then the only one that is legal after he turns 12 will be his junior license.....he can only take 1 buck though so if he gets one in archery with his mentor permit he may not harvest another with his junior....but you can buy his junior one early so he can get doe tags.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Treestand is correct. Get both. The MY permit will cover him until he is 12. The law also allows him to purchase his Junior hunting license during any license year in which he will turn 12. That means he can get it early and apply for any antlerless deer licenses that he might be eligible for. Remember though, any tag he uses on the permit will invalidate the same tag on the junior license. The license does not become effective until he is 12 and the Mentor Permit becomes invalid once he turns 12. Oh and don't forget about hunter ed. And I would recommend that you keep the permit and license materials separate so that you do not inadvertently make any mistakes with tags. Unfortunately, they all look the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts