The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 12 year old son has shot some archery over the last few years with scouts etc. Today, he told me he'd like to try archery hunting. What bows can someone suggest to get him started? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Mission Archery has a bow out that will grow right along with a young archer called the Menace. The draw weight will go from 16-52 lbs and the draw length can be adjusted from 17"-30".

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Another option would be to start with a recurve. There is no set draw length, and as he grows he can pull it further and further back. Biggest problem I could forsee is draw weight. Too little with a short draw. My mom used a recurve when she bow hunted as it was light weight and smooth.

I started bow hunting when I was 14. I was however a bit bigger than most. Almost 6' tall, and I spent 3 days a week lifting weights. I was able to use a handmedown 55# bear bow when my uncle got a new one.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Check out the Diamond Razor Edge....my son bought one last year..nice bow that I even enjoy shooting.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
MQ-1 said:
Check out the Diamond Razor Edge....my son bought one last year..nice bow that I even enjoy shooting.
That is a good bow. My buddy bought one last year to get back into archery. That thing is smooth and very light weight. Feels about 2/3's as heavy as my hoyte.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
just bought my son an alpine...adjusts out to 50lbs and 10-12 inches of draw legnth...nice bow

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What model of Alpine? Thanks for the ideas guys. Pete

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think the diamond razors edge is probably the best option for getting someone into archery hunting just due to the flexibility. It offers 10" of draw length adjustment and 30# of draw weight adjustment. You can get it in a 30-60 pound version that will allow it to grow with him, and is plenty to harvest a deer. The new bear youth bows are nice as well but don't offer the range the diamond does.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
sendero said:
I think the diamond razors edge is probably the best option for getting someone into archery hunting just due to the flexibility. It offers 10" of draw length adjustment and 30# of draw weight adjustment. You can get it in a 30-60 pound version that will allow it to grow with him, and is plenty to harvest a deer. The new bear youth bows are nice as well but don't offer the range the diamond does.
Yeah my daughter liked this bow as well, but unfortunately she thought the Parker Sidekick youth bow shot better and felt better for her. So that is what she got. Let them shoot each bow and let them decide which feels better. They will be hunting with it not you! Yes, most youth bows will allow them to grow with the archer. Some will have great amount of adjustment, some will not.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
My wife shoots a Parker Sidekick as well. Nice bow and the 'grow with parker" program lets you upgrade the limbs. Specs are 18-28 inches draw, two sets of limbs 20-40 and 40-60 lbs. The limb upgrade used to be $50.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts