The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Once again showing that Pheasants Forever is so much more than just pheasants!

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
That's why we do it right there! Can't wait for our chapter
youth hunt in a few weeks!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Here is a little first hand update of the day.

The day started out cool and foggy and that was not a bad thing for the dogs as there were over 60 kids who participated. The morning started with a trip to the clay range and one on one personalized instruction of proper gun handling and shooting. This years group of kids were on average younger than in past years, so for many, it was their first time shooting and hunting birds over dogs.

One on One instruction at the range.

Then it was assembling the groups and instructions from the guides before heading to the field.

Once in the field, the dogs did their typical super jobs and the kids were able to do their part.

The day turned out to be great in every respect. With the rare exception of one or two kids that had to leave early, every kid was able to go home with a bird. In total, 60+ kids were able to harvest 75+ birds. I know it is not always about getting, but success at a very young age is never a bad thing.

I would personally like to thank the Somerset County Chapter #603 for their continued support of the event and it was my pleasure to be able to provide my place and staff in support of the event. Not only were the kids provided the opportunity to learn how to shoot and hunt behind some great dogs, but they were also provided with a shirt, hat, and lunch from the Chapter. This is a day that we look forward to each fall and it is a pleasure to be a small part of it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great job Pointer. It sounds like you've added 60 new bird hunters to our ranks! It's wonderful to know there will be generations following we older ..... er, mature ..... guys.

Best to everyone who helped out.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
GREAT STUFF Vince...come to expect nothing else from the guys in Confluence PA.

Miss it down there , Eddy and Ally say Hi!!

Hats off to the Somerset Co Chapter!!! I ran the Warren Co hunt for three years and I know what is involved, likely the most rewarding feeling the day after you will have as a sportsmen.

<span style='font-size: 20pt'>REALLY GOOD STUFF ALL!!!</span>

·
Registered
450 Posts
Great job guys. I have helped at a couple of youth hunts and its a great feeling helping kids out and watching there faces when they see the dogs work and they get there first bird.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts