The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Youth Doe Hunt Proposal

5K views 36 replies 26 participants last post by  airgun101 
#1 ·
I have recently wrote to the PGC to ask the board to revisit the WMU's that currently have only 1 week of rifle hunting for does during the two week season. I would like the board to consider allowing junior license holders and Mentored Youth hunters to be permitted to harvest a doe the first week of rifle season. Most of these hunters have 1 or 2 days off school the first week. Perfect time to harvest a doe. Once the first Saturday rolls around, we all know the deer have changed travel patterns and obviously it becomes more difficult to find a doe. Plus if you have a bad weather Saturday (like in 2014, fog/rain all day) it really hurts the youths chances in WMU's that currently don't allow harvesting the first week. I have heard from Mr. Weaner (who has never been a fan of youth opportunities) he stated enforcement would be an issue. My thoughts are enforcement is an issue regardless of laws due to lack of personnel. Mr. Weaner stated he would like to go back to a 2 week season to eliminate that issue. Also, if the PGC allots a certain number of licenses, does it really matter if they are used the first week or the second week? I will be attending the meeting in January and speaking to this issue as well.

#5 ·
cspot said:
I agree with you DJS.
X2, we enrolled our property in Dmap this year for this exact reason. We are in 3A which where I hunt in 3A there are doe everywhere. Can only imagine what the deer population will be like next year due to very very little shooting the second week. Anyway my son connected on his first ever deer this year on the first Monday of rifle season. A big mature doe. Glad we own plenty of acerage to be able to Dmap to give my son an opportunity at his first that was taken away from him this year.

Couldn't be more proud of my boy.

#6 ·
As a kid I was never afforded all these luxuries? We hunted before or after school and when we took off school and Saturdays, I was taken out of school for the doe days too. In my opinion, we are "spoiling" kids, just like households and parents do today and give a false sense of the "efforts" required. You think hunters cry today? Wait until the "now" generation gets into their 50's....

#12 ·
Too much all about deer these days.

When we were young we cut our teeth on squirrels, rabbits, ground hogs, and pheasants back then. Plenty of opportunities to take kids hunting. Youth days out there for waterfowl, pheasant, squirrels, rabbits etc. as well as the regular and extended small game seasons.

#14 ·
I am all for getting kids interested in hunting......with that said I believe this needs squashed.....I took up hunting way before all of these new fangled rules that cater to kids and guess what I stuck with it not because of the deer that I saw or killed.....but because of the people who I was with my dad, uncles, grandfather, and family friends who taught my brothers and I what hunting is really about. Now when I mentor a kid, I will almost bet you if we never hear a turkey gobble or see a deer, they will and do have a productive day in the woods. Teach them what it means to be a true OUTDOORSMAN/WOMAN and they will stick with this for life. I sometimes think that if dad would quit whining, about the way things used to be, the kids would be better off because they would be none the wiser.

#15 ·
pahoytman said:

When we were young we cut our teeth on squirrels, rabbits, ground hogs, and pheasants back then. Plenty of opportunities to take kids hunting. Youth days out there for waterfowl, pheasant, squirrels, rabbits etc. as well as the regular and extended small game seasons.
X2 It's not all about deer.

#16 ·
pahoytman said:

Exactly!

#17 ·
First of all I don't think this proposal is warranted. There are a number of opportunities the PGC has put in place for youth hunters that I fully support.
At the same time the rationale from many of the posts that we didn't have it 40 years ago, so they don't need it now needs further consideration. The world has changed dramatically from 40 years ago. I bet many of you who said that have 50 inch flat screen TVs, smart phones in your pockets, etc. Your parents and grandparents didn't need them 40 years ago, so why do we?
We should all at least acknowledge circumstances are different for today's youth and form our opinions/recommendations based on the current conditions.

#18 ·
HomeintheWoods said:
First of all I don't think this proposal is warranted. There are a number of opportunities the PGC has put in place for youth hunters that I fully support.
At the same time the rationale from many of the posts that we didn't have it 40 years ago, so they don't need it now needs further consideration. The world has changed dramatically from 40 years ago. I bet many of you who said that have 50 inch flat screen TVs, smart phones in your pockets, etc. Your parents and grandparents didn't need them 40 years ago, so why do we?
We should all at least acknowledge circumstances are different for today's youth and form our opinions/recommendations based on the current conditions.
Great perspective and very well said.

#19 ·
pappybear said:
pahoytman said:

Exactly!
My goodness the squirrels and rabbits, the miles we walked chasing fall turkeys and grouse. Deer hunting was a quick two week season for me back then and although a lot of fun it wasnt the end all be all and didnt define my year. I really enjoyed all of the small game opportunities and hunting I did prior to deer season. Hunting with the guys at camp... Yes that is why I stuck with it. Thanks for bringing back the memories. It wasn't all about the deer or getting a deer. It was about the time spent in the field. We hunted hard for every species including deer but deer was not the only singular game animal that was targeted. Teach the kids how to hunt everything. When they are young getting shooting at squirrels and rabbits is just as exciting as getting a deer.

#20 ·
Just give the kids the same opportunities to hunt that adults have.My son has been hunting since he was seven and I just took him out and made him hunt the way I do.I don't oppose an early doe season for kids but they can also hunt with an inline,like everyone else.Same with the late season,give them a flintlock and let them experience that challenge.I'm one of the biggest youth supporters out there but they don't need special seasons and they don't need anything to make success easier.My life revolves around taking my son hunting and I don't care one bit about any special season.I'd be much happier if they just let the kids hunt in every season and let them get their own tags.

#22 ·
dce said:
Just give the kids the same opportunities to hunt that adults have.My son has been hunting since he was seven and I just took him out and made him hunt the way I do.I don't oppose an early doe season for kids but they can also hunt with an inline,like everyone else.Same with the late season,give them a flintlock and let them experience that challenge.I'm one of the biggest youth supporters out there but they don't need special seasons and they don't need anything to make success easier.My life revolves around taking my son hunting and I don't care one bit about any special season.I'd be much happier if they just let the kids hunt in every season and let them get their own tags.
DCE. The youth seasons aren't created for parents like yourself. They are made for kids that maybe want to hunt but don't necessarily have someone who can take them.

I see offers on here every year for the youth hunts (rabbit, pheasant, deer, etc) from adults willing to take a youth out for the youth day. These invitations are open to anyone. Sure they could do it during the regular season, but you likely wouldn't get as many willing adults since they would be giving up their season.

These days maybe get a few kids out in the woods that ordinarily may not get a chance.

#24 ·
don't other states allow kids to buy a regular license and hunt at ages younger than 12?

why cant PA do that too?

drop the age to lets say 10 and they have to take the hunter safety course, actually shoot the gun they plan to hunt with in front of an instructor and buy a Jr. combo license

more money for the PGC, more opportunity for the children.

#25 ·
BlackBruin said:
As a kid I was never afforded all these luxuries? We hunted before or after school and when we took off school and Saturdays, I was taken out of school for the doe days too. In my opinion, we are "spoiling" kids, just like households and parents do today and give a false sense of the "efforts" required. You think hunters cry today? Wait until the "now" generation gets into their 50's....
X 100. None of this is gonna do anything to recruit or hold kids to the sport.

#26 ·
I certainly appreciate all the comments. Every home is different in this state. My son for example leaves for school at 7:30 am and gets home at 4:15 pm. Hunting is not an option during school days. I agree that "back in the day" we left school to go hunting. "Back in the day" common core wasn't being taught,a High PSSA test result wasn't a mandatory graduation requirement and I can go on and on. Missing a day can seriously put a kid behind due to all these new requirements. For those unfamiliar, ask a 3rd grader how they have to figure out multiplication tables now! Taking my son out of school just isn't an option at this point. "Back in the day" it was no big deal. The October Jr hunt is not beneficial to most youths on Thursday and Friday, because of that ugly thing called school. Plus in the areas I hunt, the foliage greatly reduces the effective use of a rifle. I feel I am not asking for much. As far as "spoiling" kids, I love my son more then anything on this earth, if one wants to consider it spoiling him by giving him greater opportunities in the woods, then I am guilty as charged! I will remain guilty as charged for the rest of my life. I won't revisit the entire "the world has changed" ideology, it has been beaten to death on this website. No one can argue that what we as adults experienced 30 or 40 years ago are not what our children are experiencing today and what they will face in the future. Again I appreciate everyone's comments and have a great evening.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.