The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good luck to all the youth hunters today!! This is the "Day of Days" for the young hunters. In my area right now the weather is cloudy as of 0545 and the birds in the yard are chirping. Wishing you all success and may the beards be heavy and the spurs long and sharp and show us some pics!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Packed everything last night and was ready to get up at 4AM and take my son on his first youth hunt. Raining now and radar has heavier rain through 9AM. Did not want to make the hour drive north only to be washed out. Don't think my son would enjoy a soaker his first time out. Good news is I can hear some birds gobbling not to far off in the distance of our house. Will try our luck locally under the protection of a ground blind to stay dry. Good luck to all that are out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
One gobbling this morning. Walked in to get setup and spooked a couple hens that went right in the direction of the Tom.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Good Luck to all the young hunters, pouring down rain here now but supposed to get better later on.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Light rain and heavy fog in our part of 5A. Haven't heard a peep yet. This is my young hunter's first time out for turkeys, so hopefully we at least hear one. Good luck to everyone that's out!

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
Good luck to all the young hunters out there!!

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Thought it was going to happen right off the bat. We had a gobbler answer our calls on the roost and he flew down about 150 yards away from us in the field. Should have been able to see the decoys plain as day where he was at. He stood their gobbling and strutting for a few minutes and then he slow strutted off. Heard a few birds throughout the morning, but never got one to work.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts

Nephew.

Mr. Consistency.
4 years in a row. 4 opening days. 4 Longbeards on the ground.

He called this one in on his own.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Had 3 birds together screaming at us at 11:30 with another kid, but couldn't talk them into coming our way.
All alone gobbling their heads off........and they walk the other way.

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
Congrats to your daughter bgbuck!!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Very slow day for me and my hunter. We didn't hear a gobble until 9:30 when the fog finally blew out, and we only heard him a few times. I was thankful for hearing that bird, as running back down the mountain to try to get in a better position for him was about the only excitement we had. On the plus side, my brother and his hunter were on the low side of that bird when he fired up, and they were able to get where they needed to be and call the bird in. This was his hunter's final year for the youth hunt, and he was more than pleased to put his tag on a healthy two-year-old bird.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
Awesome! Congratulations to the yong hunters and their mentors for building the desire and seeing it through.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts