The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am starting to search crossbows for my 12 year old daughter. She has shot a regular bow with me the past 2 years but unfortunately had an elbow injury from gymnastics and won't be able to practice enough with her regular bow this summer.
I am looking for a crossbow she can hunt whitetail with at ranges of 25 yds and less. I've looked at the Barnett Recruit but also see great reviews on Excalibur products. Looking to spend no more than $400 if possible.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Also....do you suggest recurve or compound?

·
Registered
19,736 Posts
Along with the Recruit, also check out the Wicked Ridge Ranger. The Ranger is perfect for smaller framed hunters. Easy to cock and plenty of power to 30 yards.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I'd say go try a few. Fang might be hard to cock. Mine chrono @ 330 something. Might be hard to pull back. It's Very light weight and handy though. Arrowhead has em set up perfect for $360. Go to the website under specials

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
I agree with DPMS that in that price range the Wicked Ridge Ranger would be hard to beat. Made by Tenpoint so you will have great Customer Service if needed.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Bought my Daughter a Parker Challenger. Light weight and very accurate out of the box. can be adjusted 125lbs to 150. 275-300fps. 6.1 lbs. comes with scope, quiver and 4 bolts. It is the one I use also due to the weight. They have a Lifetime warranty. I do not work for them, just giving first hand info. Would not go anywhere else. Good Luck. Need to go take a look at them.

·
6,466 Posts
i second the parker challenger i own 2 of them one for my wife and one for my daughter very accurate and perfect for smaller frames and also right in your price range

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I would pass on any Barnett made bow. cheap materials and sloppy quality control.

pse fang is nothing like the vertical line of PSE bows. The trigger [censored] in my opinion.

Wicked Ridge line of bows are fine. little heavy and unbalanced. But a quality made bow.

Excal makes fine bow and are 100% reliable. But loud as crap. Very good trigger and very accurate. They make a good bow.

I would suggest Parker above the rest. The bow was designed to give youth and smaller framed shooters a bow to grow and develop with. Best customer service,lightweight and the G2 trigger is nothing short of perfect.

·
Registered
21,378 Posts
I shopped for one a few years ago when my son was 8.Most crossbows have a stock with a pretty short length of pull that even small kids can shoot easily.I was also concerned about weight but that's not an issue with many models today.I wouldn't be too concerned about how hard they are to cock since you'll be with the MY anyway.I settled on a Stryker 380 and he was able to shoot it offhand with no issues right from the start.If I had to do it over again,I'd probably buy a kid an excaliber matrix just for the simplicity.It's small enough and light enough that they should be able to use it but if they decide to stick with a crossbow instead of a compound,they'll be no reason to replace it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Do yourself a favor and look at the mission line. very narrow and short great for smaller hunters. You can adjust the weight and change the strings and cables yourself.

·
Registered
21,378 Posts
I shot a mission side by side with the stryker.I went to the place planning on buying the mission but walked out with the stryker.STILL A NICE WEAPON THOUGH

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
DCE almost bought the stryker but all the limb problems scared me away.Once I realized I could change strings and cables without going to shop sold me on the mission. I also like I could adjust the length and draw weight. I will say this the stryker balances extremely well and has one of the best factory triggers in the business.

·
Registered
21,378 Posts
The limb issue almost turned me away as well but he hasn't had any issues yet.I went to the shop,expecting to buy the mission for him but took the chance on the stryker after shooting both of them..

·
Registered
877 Posts
Everyone in my house shoots something different: Father-in-law shoots a Barnett Jackyl , Son shoots a Mission , Wife shoots my hand-me-down Horton Vision , and I have now upgraded to the Storm Rdx.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I just picked up an Excaliber Vixen II used from another member. It looks and feels like a fantastic xbow for a kid or smaller adult. Can't wait to let my son and his cousin get behind it. Paid $350 for it.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I too will never own a Barnett.I,ve read countless numbers of bad reports and don,t ever recall ever readin positive ones.Correct me if I,m wrong but I don,t think Excalibur has any thing priced near near or south of 4 bills,all priced way high north of that.I wished they did cause I would like to own one.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
good ole boy said:
I too will never own a Barnett.I,ve read countless numbers of bad reports and don,t ever recall ever readin positive ones.Correct me if I,m wrong but I don,t think Excalibur has any thing priced near near or south of 4 bills,all priced way high north of that.I wished they did cause I would like to own one.
axion line from Excal is close to wha ya want to pay.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Treestand said:
i second the parker challenger i own 2 of them one for my wife and one for my daughter very accurate and perfect for smaller frames and also right in your price range
Friend also bought the Parker Challenger for his son. He is very happy with it so far and took a nice buck with it last year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts