The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my son is 9 and weighs 90 lbs and I am looking at getting him a new atv. he is somewhat experienced and I let him drive my 350 wolverine around the yard in second gear. now I want to get him one he will use a few years. what do you recommend as far as size? im thinking a 90 will be too small next year he does have a little sister I could pass it down to but I want one he can ride at least 2 years.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
What price range are you lookin at cause their is some good deals goin on like I posted in another thread.There are alot of cheaper Chinese spinoffs out their but I would never recommend em.Heck,even Cabelas is sellin Chinese ones cheaper than the name brands that is Chinese with an American name,Coleman.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I bought my son a used Honda 90 back in 2006 (it was a 2000) for his 7th birthday. He rode that machine up until his birthday last fall and he is by no means a small kid. Never had any major problems with it either, IMO you can't go wrong with a Honda.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
An older lighter machine would be less prone to breakage and problems than a newer heavier machine.Especially with all of them mostly water cooled(yuck)and FI with electronics(double yuck)

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
Pretty much every 90cc by most manufacturers is nothing more than a Chinese piece of junk with different decals.Honda may be one of the only ones out there that make their own 90's but I don't even know for sure if they do.Yamaha makes a 125cc utility 2wd that's ok but a 300 grizzly is a much better machine.A 9 year old should be able to handle that fine.Assuming you want a 2wd,there's a lot of good choices in the 250-300 cc range that would work just fine and he'll get more time out of it.Yamaha also makes a 125cc raptor that's a great machine but probably more aggressive than a 9 year old needs.

I need to upgrade this year for my kids as well.I have a 7 year old son and a 14 year old daughter.Last year they both got dirt bikes but I'm thinking a 4wheeler would be better for my daughter.I want to get something they can both use as well as my wife so I'll either get a 350 or 450 grizzly.They aren't huge machines and are 4wd so they should get more use out of them.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
That's probably the best solution.A nine year old under supervision shouldn't have a problem with a 350.I wouldn't let him take off with it by himself.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If he can ride the Wolverine now..Id consider something similar and you'll just have it for good. If not...Kawasaki Bayou's are nice. Im not a Kawasaki guy, but my 220lb buddy rides his with us. Its only a 250 4x2... but he goes just about anywhere on that thing. Could be the weight and good tires..lol. Still, its an impressive little machine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts