The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was considering picking up a .243 for my 9yr old daughter. She has a 20ga Mossberg 510 Mini Turkey Thug that she can handle pretty well, now for a rifle.
I was looking at the Savage Axis Youth or the Mossberg ATR Super Bantam in .243. I believe the length of pull is shorter on the Mossberg. Was wondering if any of you gentlemen have any experience with either?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you looking for my 9yr old son.He is using a super bantam for turkey and the Mossberg atr is the same length of pull and also uses the same kind of spacers for growth my plan is this weekend to go and see what fits him best.I think were going to use recoil managed loads.

·
Registered
20,887 Posts
Two years ago,I bought my 7 year old son a rem model 7 compact in .243.He used it without any issues and this year he moved up to the Kimber Montanna in .308 that I bought for him the day after he was born.A few months ago,I put a Bell and Carlson medalist stock on the .243 for my 16 year old daughter to use.

Don't rule out the Ruger American or Thompson center.I'd by either one of them before I'd buy the two you mentiond and the price would be close.

·
Banned
1,455 Posts
243 is a good pick. You can shoot it all summer on groundhogs and you'll be ready for deer season.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
RobOz said:
How about the Ruger American compact?
This. I have the full size 7-08 and the recoil is less than my Encore prohunter and it weighs less. Very good recoil pad and I think you can still get the stock pad/ammo pouch for free in the mail too

·
Registered
376 Posts
Bought a ruger American compact in 243 for my ten year old daughter. Fits her well and shoots very well. Got it for 349.00.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Keep an eye out for the sales at Dick's.
They will be all over the place before the riffle season.
Youth model combos at at a good price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts