The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a single shot centerfire for treestand hunting. I really like the looks of the Ruger No. 1-RSI....something about that full length stock. It also comes in 7x57 which is a neat caliber and I like that kind of oddball stuff. I've been trying to search for other single shots but I'm not finding much out there along the lines of No. 1. I don't really care for the T/C or other break action designs. Do any of you guys have any input about something similar to the Ruger falling block? I don't have anything against the Ruger, just want to make sure I explore all my options.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Jason, Check out the Browning High wall and Low Wall. Pretty standard caliber offerings but they did make the Low in .260?

I have a High in 30-06 and its an absolute tack driver and very balanced. Great pc of wood, nice checkering and a very nice trigger. Fit and finish are outstanding as well.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do they still make them? I looked for them, but they're not on their site....at least I can't find them. Winchester has an 1885 HW listed....45-70 and 405 Win. I have to admit I'm a little excited about a 405 Win!

In all honesty, I'm torn between the single shot rifle or a hunting handgun. The way I've been hunting lately I could almost get away with carrying my bow in rifle season!

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
No Browning quit a few years back but you can still find some here and there. Winchester is the only one still producing a 1885.

Check out GB, there are a few Browning Highs and a couple of Lows on there now

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was checking that out when I came across Uberti stuff too. Which lead me to their site....which now has me looking at rolling blocks now too!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just stumble across exactly what I want....I'd just need to mortgage my house or sell my first born to get it!

Dakota Arms makes a real purdy falling block!

·
Registered
889 Posts
A Ruger in a 7X57 would be a fantastic rifle. Look for one of the Ruger Boddington Special's. Those are some beautiful rifles, and come in the 7X57. I have been searching half-heartedly for one myself.

The Number One makes a fantastic hunting rifle. They handle very well, and are more than accurate enough for hunting.

I also like the 1885's. I have several of those. I have a preference for the 1885 over the Ruger. I like the lighter Low Wall for weight and carrying.

But then I am also partial to the Encore's!! Tom.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I also like the Sharp's rifle. But they are pretty heavy to hunt with every day. You will need some padding for your strap. Tom.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I wouldn't limit myself to a single shot for tree stand hunting. I've got nothing against single shots, but I can't see spending a pile of cash to buy a gun that does the same thing for more than what something else costs. Unless you just want one. I can't argue with that at all.

If things are up close I would give a handgun a try. I love handgun hunting. I got to admit that if I had to live off what I got hunting with a handgun I would be a lot thinner than I am right now.

For most beginers I would recommend a 357 or a 44 for deer hunting. Much further than 30-40 yards you need to be really good. Personally I can do great out to 50 yards with a good rest. Off hand I need to cut that to about 30 (I have better success with my bow). With an optic sight you may be able to stretch those distances a bit. I don't personally care for them.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pretty much just want one! For some reason I've always been in love with the Mannlicher stocked #1. I found that CZ(Brno) makes one too, but I don't like how it looks as much....it's a break action too and I really want a falling block for some reason that I can't explain at all!

Beautiful rifles there Hoghead! I'm just talking about this now cause I'm bored, want one, can't have one right now, and figure I might get some different ideas. I like the low/high walls too, but not sure about them quite yet. Weight isn't a real issue for this rifle. I won't be still hunting the mountains with it....it'll be a stand gun. It'll be slung and hung most of the time as it is.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty cool, Andy!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I should mention I have Ruger single shots in 7x57 and 30-40 Krag, also shoot a Ruger #1 RSI in 308. all are perfect treestand rifles for deer in PA. the 30-40 has killed so many deer I quit counting, it is a Ruger #3.

If you can't kill a deer out of a tree stand with a single shot rifle at 100 Yards or less, think about going to a ground blind and get an AR.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could stand to have a 38-55. Almost built a Marlin in that caliber before going with the 444.

I'll look into them. Money IS a consideration.....looking to keep it under $1k but I can work with anything in that range. I can't figure out why these incredibly simple firearms are so danged expensive, but they are!

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm starting to lean pretty hard towards a No. 3 after looking at them a lot. No. 1 is still up there on the list. A high wall is not out of the question either. Unless I win the lottery in the future though it'll be a while till I have any of them!

I do like that mini sharps though too!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
No 3 rugers were available in 375 win, sort of a 38-55 with a thicker case. the 30-40 krag and the 375 win ruger #3 seem to get a premium.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have a Hornet in the Ruger #3. It is a great rifle. I always wanted one of the 44 magnum's. That would be a deadly and extremely handy woods rifle for shots to 100 yards. That would be a carrying delight as well as a deer hammer!!

You guys might think I am nuts. But I look for Ruger to bring the Number 3 back. At least in some limited role. Tom.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The #3 was the low price version of the #1.

The "cowboy" look didn't appeal to many people, so it didn't sell well.

Doubt you will see it come back Hogg, as the cost to produce would be the same as the #1 and so the price would be the same.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Had a #3 in 45/70 once and I loaded it up to almost 458 Win. velocity. That gun was actually very painful to shoot but extremely accurate.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts