The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier in the year I bought a Marlin M77 Mark II 300win. I am getting ready to buy a scope for it soon and I must say that I am thinking hard about buying the Nikon Monarch 5x20x44 with the BDC recticles. I already have a 7mm with a 4x12x50 Leupold on it. For the most part I will be using this 300 for deer hunting locally but I also want it set up for long distance shooting in case I go out west again. What do you guys think. Is the 5x20x44 too much scope for my local PA deer hunting and what do you think about the BDC recticles. Any experieces or thoughts will be soaked in and appreaciated.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have a few Nikons, great scopes but I really like the Shepherds I have for long distance shooting. Check them out. Good luck!

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
You get what you pay for. There ain't no such thing as free lunch and there ain't no such thing as a good cheap scope.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
AmazonHunter said:
Earlier in the year I bought a Marlin M77 Mark II 300win. I am getting ready to buy a scope for it soon and I must say that I am thinking hard about buying the Nikon Monarch 5x20x44 with the BDC recticles. I already have a 7mm with a 4x12x50 Leupold on it. For the most part I will be using this 300 for deer hunting locally but I also want it set up for long distance shooting in case I go out west again. What do you guys think. Is the 5x20x44 too much scope for my local PA deer hunting and what do you think about the BDC recticles. Any experieces or thoughts will be soaked in and appreaciated.
Personally I think the 5x20, the 4x12 and the 300 win are all to much for PA deer hunting.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I have never used the Nikon with BDC so I wont comment on the reticle. I do not think 5x20 is to much scope. I have heard alot of people say that "you cant find your target", "all you will see are limbs/branches", ect. If you know how to shoulder your rifle properly you will find your target, and I like seeing the branches that I might not be able to pick up with a lower magnification scope. For me the higher magnification (over 12x) is really nice when you will be shooting over 200yds, and closer in certain situations. I feel that it really helps in being able to pick a spot on the animal, instead of the crosshairs covering up a large portion of the target. IMO the only drawback with the higher magnifiction scopes is their larger size/weight.

I also think that the 300win is a great all around caliber. It will do anything the other popular 30 calibers will, plus. If I was limited to one rifle the 300win would definetly be one of my considerations.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My buddy just purchased the 5x20 with BDC late last fall for his 22-250 groundhog rifle . The scope seems very clear. The adjustments seem spot on since he consistantly shot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds. He did'nt get much more use before the end of the season . So that's about all I have for you .

·
Registered
485 Posts
personal opinion on any of the "fancy" bdc, mildot, boone and crocket, etc. scope reticles. my eye/brain combination finds them too "busy" distracting me from concentrating on my target. trying to decide on which line or dot, what distance overwelms my feeble mind. i sight in aboout 2" high at 100 then just hold on the center of the kill zone at any distance i feel comfortable shooting at which is under 250.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Personally I think the 5-20 is to much scope. No need to spend the extra money a 4-16 will do more then you ever need. I had a 6-18 on a groundhog gun and when cranked to 18 even at 400 yards the groundhogs were more then big enough to make the shot. Thats just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
Im not a fan of bdc, boone crockett, vm. hunter, etc. If you get one read up on it real well. Dont think it will work on any gun because it wont. You must know your guns tradgectory ( however its spelled ) and find which hash rally works for your yardage. Learn how a scope works by understanding MOA " minute of angle " then you can buy any descent scope that tracks well and dial what you want.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
For deer/bear hunting in PA, the traditional ole' 3X9 vari-x1 is all you'd ever need in most cases..it's record is clear, dollar for dollar it's hard to beat..I'd say it's the most popular scope I see on the 30 and up crowd and I've never heard a single complaint in 40 years about one..

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
It's all about confidence in your equipment. If you feel that the 5 power setting will do for you at the lowest setting you'll ever need then go for it. If your shots are generally over 50 yards then I don't think you'll have a problem finding the animal in your scope to make a shot. Is it ideal??? Maybe, maybe not. For you perhaps it is, I personally wouldn't feel overpowered by that scope magnification but some others might. Heck of there was one ideal scope that worked for everyone, in every situation, then we wouldn't be able to have the wonderful variety that we do or these debates about them. Nikon makes a great optic and you certainly can't go wrong with them. I think the BDC reticle is a great reticle as well. Nikon has their spot on technology up on their website to give you the exact distances for your cartridge at each point on the reticle. That is only a reference for you though, I strongly suggest you go and confirm these yardages they give you to ensure the maximum accuracy for your particular gun/ammo/scope combination. The numbers they give you on their website should be pretty close though, at least they were the times I've used it. If you are interested I can do the Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm, Side Focus, BDC Reticle for $439.95 + tax shipped to your door, or since you aren't too far away I could meet you and give it to you for $432.95 + tax. These are prices specifically for huntingpa.com members as I try to cut my fellow members a break when I can. I don't have the Nikon stuff all up on the website yet, but hopefully I can get it up during this long weekend. Just PM me or even let me know here if you are interested. Ultimately you need to be confident in your setup and if you feel this particular gun/scope combination is going to allow you to make the most ethical shot at all of the ranges you intend to hunt at then go for it. Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Mac

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
all my scopes are nikon's love them. for the money they can't be beat imho. just got a 4x12 prostaff for my 7mm mag.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
JMO, a 3x9x40, is most used huntin scope. On a .300 Win. with the long shots IMO I'ed want a spotter with a high powered table scope or binoculars. For most of your huntin as stated in Pa. and your heart set on more power how bout a 4.5x14?? They are about the same lgth. as a 3.5x10. Seems like a 5x20x50 is alittle over board with most deer shots around 50yds.....later

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
First off Marlin doesn't make the m77 mkII, Ruger does. On a .300 mag I'd take a hard look at the Leupold 4.5-14.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
as for long range shooting and going out west, unless you practice shooting at over 200yds, you are just putting up a hope and prayer shot. that is not what good ethical hunters do. looking ar a ballistic chart and just aiming 13 in. or 20 in or what ever the hold over is, is not what hunting is all about. when someone takes a shot, they better be confident the bullit will hit the target. just because you see people on TV make long shoots does not mean you can make that same shot with the same gun. they put time in on the range and in relistc/ real hunting situations. you have to deal with wind, terrain, animal movement, atmospheric pressure, no bench rest, a whole host of issues that affect impact point. the scope and power, is the least of the problems, as long you buy a good scope to start.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to everyone for all of your input. I will do some serious thinking and make my decision soon. I have until the end of the month. A special thanks to "macgee" for your input and that offer on that scope. That is a good offer. I am getting this scope out of a raffle that I have won so I can't take you up on that offer. My mistake on my first post for saying marlin instead of ruger m77.
My whole deal with this set up is that I have plenty of rifles that I use for deer hunting so I don't have to use this 300 for deer hunting all the time. I do go to my local shooting club and practice at 300 yards frequently. I have been getting offers to go to a 600 yard range once in awhile and would like to start playing around with that for fun. About 5 or 6 years ago I went out west on a combo hunt. I had plenty of practice and was very confident shooting at 300 yards but I wouldn't take the shots I had at 300 yards because the wind was blowing 70 mph all day long when I was there. I had to wait for a closer shot. I guess I have a decison to make and yes it is my decision and I have to be happy with what I decide. I will let you all know what I decide. Thanks again. The advise on this site is always well received.

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
I would suggest you give some serious thought to scopes like the Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX3, Meopta MeoPro, and the Minox ZA-5. All will be competitive or better in quality(in my opinion) to the Nikon (optically, Nikon has no flies on it for product integrity), and the Minox is really the bargain when CameraLand in NY has them on sale (like, under $300 in some cases).

Really give those scopes some thought in your selection process. The Monarch isn't bad, not at all, but you may want to check out the competition a bit, too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts