The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pickup a 1971 Winchester #94 30/30 for a good price but I'm not sure if I should take it or not. Even though I have had 94's before I'm not a big fan of them anymore mostly because of them being a bit on the short side. Give me your thoughts guys.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I like them. I guess depends what you are planning on using them for.

Dale- did you find a spot for sat?

·
Registered
62 Posts
if it's a good deal, buy it, clean it up real nice, make a few $ profit and buy what you do want!!! on a 94 it must be a very good buy to make any profit!!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
It's a good gun to have, even if you just clean it up and put it in the back of the cabinet... I'd go for it. I've used mine to doe hunt and bear hunt the last few years. It's short stature alone earns its keep if you're a driver trying to push through the thick Centre County brush.

It's easy to use and clean, very light to carry and also has a little nostalgic value. I'm 6'4" and the length isn't an issue. It shoulders just fine for me.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
the 94 n 30/30 is a nice little pkg and fun and relatively cheap to shoot. shells are $8/bx on sale. but for a resale to be worth it, a '71 would have to be in really good, original shape and around $250 or less. guys want a lot for them but there are literally millions of them out there. and the post 64 guns are not worth as much. i have one from the 30's and it is really fun to shoot and carries like a twig.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, you talked me into it. So, when the wife yells at me I'll blame it on you guys.....
j/j. I have been wanting another lever gun anyway. I can't remember the last time I shot a 30-30

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
pumpgun said:
and the 30/30 is a good gun to introduce a new shooter to high powers.
Although I own an entire cabinet full of Winchester 94's, I doubt it if I'd start a kid out with one simply because you must unload them shell-by-shell and it is too easy to hit the trigger and have the rifle go off while doing this..I've seen it happen and it [censored] to get sprayed in the face with dirt & stones when a bullet hits the dirt two feet from where you're standing....That hammer is a real hazard to all but the more experianced hunters......Maybe a newer Model 94 with the crossbolt safety but never an old one.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
The older Marlins and Winchester ,unsafe as they are, are just plain fun to handle and shoot. Most of them have a buttery smooth action from years of use. Too bad that some kind of safety could be made and installed on these old timers....

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Winchesters and Marlins in lever actions sure get a bad rap with safey's any more. Thinkin what 1886 to 2011 some never mastered the action??? My first rifle was a 94 1/2 cock. My dad said don't touch trigger when unloadin and then said like this. Then showed me let hammer down to 1/2 cock about 50 times I did it with unloaded gun worked great. I've had 3 Marlins over the years and worked great too. The Marlins had the side hammer for scope and worked fine. Maybe I'm a hard head but it's not a very hard task to master IMO....later

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
Just this very night my son was huntin with my dad,s antique Marlin 30-30 and I was tellin him the same thing when unloadin.My dad spent alot of time with him with it this year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts