The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a local restaraunt this morning for breakfast. On the one end of the building is a candle making business. I took a stroll over and took a look at the candles and noticed a section of candle making supplies. I went over there and took a look at all of the scents that were there and my mind got to spinning.

There was molasses, brown sugar, all types of fruit. I am considering getting some of these scents and dropping on the bottom of my dog proofs. I think since it is oil based the scent would stick around longer in the rain. I also thought about getting the oil and mixing it with a little wax and melting a tiny bit on the bottom of the inside of the dog proof.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
cant hurt to try!!

most trapping suppliers sell oils and extracts as well..not sure if there is a difference or what the cost of either is etc...but i dont see any harm in trying a bottle of the candle oil if its available and priced well enough to be used on the line...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was pretty cheap. I can't remember a price right now but I believe a small bottle (4 oz.?) was around $5 a pint was 10 or 11 bucks.

I wonder what they would say if I asked them to make me some rotten fish candles. lol.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You could get a trail camera out put some in a soup can and check it.Instead of waiting till trapping season.It would save time and give you better info on what they will eat or go for.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Just don't train them that it is unedible.

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
The tiny candy making flavorings have very strong sweet smells. I've used some of them for muskrat and 'coon lure.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Years ago I trapped several coon using Aqua Velva after shave lotion as an attractant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts