The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
HPA Admin Approved Vendor
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I decided to take the camera to my stand rather than my bow. Well you probably can guess what happened.
I watched this guy refresh a scrape, work over a licking branch and took roughly 200 pics of him before his lady friend showed up and the chase was on. All the while he was grunting and putting on a show.

Griz

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Oh I can believe it. I guarantee if I took my .22 or shotgun out tomorrow instead of my bow the buck of my dreams would show up and prance around in front of me.
Nice pic!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Yeah, I can believe it. It is Murphy's Law, and now you are cursed with it. Whatever bad can happen and will happen at the worst possible time!

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
I have the reverse affect, sit and wait for that buck and have tree rats all around. Go back and sit for the tree rats and they somehow left the area. Ohh well!

·
Premium Member
24,122 Posts
I believe it. One year I opted to go for turkeys and when I was sitting there calling to one a real nice 6 point walked up to me and stood 5 yards away. He had rut written all over his face. Nice pic, by the way.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You keep taking pictures like that and you may be sitting on some $$.

Do you know what they charge us taxidermists for whitetail reference photos?

2009 prices are between $27-$36 for 2 dozen in 4"x7" format of unique angles and poses.
A single 8"x10" of high quality details up-close runs $10.75 ea.

I've purchased some and have visited and entered deer pens for my own. You may have to hook me up!!
We can never have too much reference material.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
That is a great pic. The buck seems to be sneering at you. I'm telling ya they KNOW.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
That's great Griz. I did the same thing last night, but in reverse. Want to guess what I saw while on stand?

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is a great pic. The buck seems to be sneering at you. I'm telling ya they KNOW.
Talonracer, I have been hunting for over forty years and thought I had heard about every vocalization a deer can make but that buck made some of the strangest sounds I have ever heard coming from one.
I first saw him refreshing a scrape near a licking branch and from there on until he left the vocals continued. In the photo he was uttering a low deep kind of blaaaa! thing sounded like a sheep with a severe cold.
Then he went into a series of grunts and burps that I dont think anyone could imitate on a deer call.
All in all it was an education just listening to it.

Griz

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've purchased some and have visited and entered deer pens for my own. You may have to hook me up!! We can never have too much reference material.

Banjoman, I have provided several 8x10 deer, turkey and squirrel pics to some friends who are taxidermists on a barter system in exchange for there work. Worked for me!

Shoot me an Email if you need something and we can go from there.

Thanks

Griz

·
6,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here ya go Honeybrook. Glad you like them.

Griz

Sneaking In

At First Light

Under The Licking Branch

I Hear Her Coming

I had a lot to choose from but when I saw that buck standing in the shadows with the sun on his face the beauty of it all made my heart skip.
This is one of my favorite pics.

Hiding in the Shadows

It's true I did shoot a lot of pics but often most of them are repeated shots. I shoot on rapid fire so to speak because a Pro Photogrpaher friend told me when shooting wildlife...keep shooting. Because the second you stop that animal is going to do something you wish you would have captured. At least with digital there's no processing fee and you can file 13 what you dont want. It's a hassle though because when you edit each pic must be looked at carefully or you might just delete one that has that special moment without knowing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts