The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were choosing a handgun for home protection, but not ruling out the possibility of concealed carrying, what would you chose and why? I've been considering this and thinking about a Glock 43X.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Some version of the Sig P365, a true micro carry gun with 10+1 standard, 12+1 if you like, and 15+1 for home or car carriage. Pic is 10 and 12, 15 is available, reminds me to get a couple.

p365 10&12 rd.jpg

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
A 1911...is my go to for home and cooler weather carry...for warmer weather... currently I carry a kel-tek p11 (9mm)...Im seriously considering a Kimber (compact) micro 9mm raptor to replace the kel-tek in the near future... I'm a South paw and usually wear a vest or coat over my shoulder holster.

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Agree shotgun good for home protection.....For a home protection a 1911 of many manufactures works quite well. It can be carried in the winter under a coat, but a little bulky for summer attire; therefore, something like a 9 MM S&W M&P Shield, performs well and is easier to conceal. I have read that most times a personal protection weapon is use....it is at the range of 10' +-.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 1911...is my go to for home and cooler weather carry...for warmer weather... currently I carry a kel-tek p11 (9mm)...Im seriously considering a Kimber (compact) micro 9mm raptor to replace the kel-tek in the near future... I'm a South paw and usually wear a vest or coat over my shoulder holster.
Your comment about being left handed, reminded me that I didn't mention that I'm also a lefty in my post. Needing an ambidextrous safety is also a consideration for me. Does that change anyone's recommendations? I've having a hard time finding that info on line when researching. I think I'm probably leaning toward a Glock 43X or the Sig Sauer P365 so far. I think they're both a good compromise between compact size and magazine capacity. The Glock 19 is a little bigger than I'd want to carry, and the Kimber that was recommended seems to be a little pricey.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I typically carry a Kahr CM9, because it's small, but also carry my Shield a good bit because I handle it better... it just sticks out a tad bit more. For home defense, I keep my XDM in 45ACP in a small safe under the bed to fight my way to the shotgun if needed. I personally wouldn't want to try to make a gun suitable for both duties, but if I had to pick one, it'd be the Shield. It gives me 8 shots, handles well and is compact.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Cheap 12ga single barrel sawed off loaded with buckshot.Don't have to be right on target. . . . . . . . . just close !

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Handgun? Its hard to kill people with a handgun. Rem. 870 pump 12ga. stoked with #4 buck, for when it absolutely, positively has to be dead tonight.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What about a Taurus Judge for home defense? You kind of have the best of both worlds in shotshells and 45 LC. If one is not an accurate shooter in a panic/adrenaline rush, the shotshells can compensate for that.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Preferred “handgun” for home defense would be my 300 Blackout ‘pistol’.... but the suppressed SBR in the same gets that nod.
G19 with light is in the nightstand palm safe, blackout is in a bio lock bolted to the nightstand.
For carry, the G19, a G26, and my 1911 are in rotation depending upon season/attire.
Been wearing the 1911 a lot more this summer than previous summers, a fair amount of recent daylight mangy coyote activity in the area.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Needing an ambidextrous safety is also a consideration for me. Does that change anyone's recommendations? I've having a hard time finding that info on line when researching. I think I'm probably leaning toward a Glock 43X or the Sig Sauer P365 so far...
My 365 does not have a safety but you can buy one with a safety, the mag release is ambi. This is my thoughts on the 2, the 365 is definitely smaller than the 43x and as mentioned mags are available in 10, 12, and 15. In the house 16 rounds without a reload is substantial and with 10 rounds it is more carry concealable than the 43x. I also like (and everyone does) the tritium sights. After I got it I was laying in bed one night and could see a glowing green dot. Wondering what the heck it was, was it my watch or what, well one of the sight dots was visible. Very fast acquisition in low light with the illuminated geen dots. The grip texture is aggressive and very good for control. Trigger pull tests show the p365 has a lighter pull about 3/4 pound less than 43x.

You have a few different 365 models, the p365 which is what I have. The p365SAS for Sig Anti Snag has a new sight design using the tritium dots but with NO external sights. The p365XL which has a little longer barrel similar to the 43x but still a smaller package, has the slide cutout to accept a reflex sight, interchangeable grip modules to fit hand, and a flat upgraded trigger assembly. I put this trigger on my P365. All have the 10,12,15 mags, tritium sights, and an integral slide rail for mounting a light.

Sig came out hard a few years ago with feature packed offerings. They also won the military contract with the M17 (P320) and make several versions based off it. I also have an M17 too which is my home gun with 21 round mags, replaced the standard grip module with a smaller size. The 365 is my concealed and car carry, it stays in the car with a few mags, always with me if I need to carry.

Camera wouldn't focus on them but below are the tritium sights in "complete" darkness, in a closet, night time way out in the country, no lights, utter black. I also have a plastic IWB and leather OWB, prefer owb.

p365 tritium DSCN7605a.jpg DSCN7077.jpg DSCN7078.jpg p365 DSCN7602.jpg

·
Registered
405 Posts
Those p320’s are really nice. I had the grandfather to it for awhile (p250) and the best part about them other than ease of use/accuracy is the modular design. Less than 2 min to swap over to a smaller package for carry purposes

1 - 20 of 42 Posts