The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a miltary firearm.. of course I'm glad they did it! The entire gun is preserved of course with grease.
Web info states to use clothes steamer to turn the grease to liquid and then wipe it off. Also use Mineral Spirites and soak the stock in it! Might see if one of the sport shops has some kind of gun degreasers?????

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Remove the wood from the firearm. Then spray down the firearm with carb cleaner. This will degrease all the cosmo off. Afterwards I would still wipe down with a rag.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Theres a bunch of products (breakfree, denatured alcohol, mineral spirits, brake cleaner etc) that could be used on the metal parts. It's best to COMPLETELY disassemble and soak parts. If you need to, take pics to help with reassembly. Use an assortment of tools to get into all the nooks and crannies. Everything from toothpicks, old tooth brushes, picks, you name it. Just remember, more soaking = less scrubbing.

As for the wood, i would think just applying heat and "turning it to liquid" would make it penetrate deeper. You mentioned soaking in mineral spirits. Don't soak in anything! Especialy if its a laminated stock like some of the late ww11 mausers. The best thing I've used for cosmoline soaked milsurp stocks is easy off oven cleaner. Dampen the stock with hot water. Stand the stock straight up and down, spray it down with the oven cleaner untill you used enough, then spray it on some more. Let it work for a little while, maybe 10 minutes, give or take depending on how bad the stock is. Wipe down with a ooo steel wool and rinse with a good sharp spray of hot water. You might have to do this several times, but it will get the grease out. I've done this on mausers, p-17, springfields, carbines, garands, you name it. It's some work, but worth it in he end. Let it dry good, maybe go over with fine steel wool, then refinish with the finish o your choice- tung oil, linseed, truoil, lin-speed or whatever.
By the way, what did you pick up?

·
Registered
485 Posts
small parts can be cleaned in a dishwasher. i have it on very good authority that a service contract is a must if you do. this was from a cmp gunsmith. he did trigger assemblies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Take the gun apart and use diesel fuel works like a charm all that grease comes right off.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
ACEarcher said:
Remove the wood from the firearm. Then spray down the firearm with carb cleaner. This will degrease all the cosmo off. Afterwards I would still wipe down with a rag.
This. Before the carb cleaner, I have used a heat gun to melt the cosmoline into a pan. Then finish up with carb and oil well.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
As for the stock. After removal, treat it as any fine furniture. Use furniture stripper. Stain to desired color and finish with multiple coats of tung oil (the real stuff not tung finish) to get the original military look.

I would not recommend oven cleaner, too caustic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts