The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this topic has ever been on this site but I was working out today, this a.m. early, and was thinking about some deer that I have had shots at and wasn't able to finish the deal. One in particular, I was 14 yrs old and my dad, brother and I were hunting a farm in Wyoming County, Lovelton area. My dad puts me up this treestand a hundred yards from a recently harvested cornfield 30 minutes beforre first lite on the first day. He takes a stand about 300 yds from me. Right at first lite a super nice, perfect 8 pt comes walking down a logging road from the field, gonna walh 20 yds from my tree! I let him come and then put my 30-06 gamemaster on him. Look thru the scope and see NOTHING! The scope somehow had busted and it was gray and I couldn't see him. I fired at where I thought he was and missed. The deer stopped in his tracks and started looking around. I pumped the gun and put another shot in the chamber. I took aim again and fired and at this sound he bolted like Carl Lewis. Another miss. I get out of the tree and look on the ground for blood, nothing but the clumps of ground where my rounds went. 20 minutes later my dad comes over and I tell him my story. He sees where the rounds went and then asks me an unreal question.....why didn't you use the open sights under your scope? You know, the ones you shot at 60 yds on the range when we sighted the scope in? I had no answer!!! 14 years old and I was able to find out the real definition of buck fever!!! Sorry to bore you guys, but I was thinking about that today.....53 years old now and I remember like it was yesterday...thanks for listening...

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Quite a few years ago I was bow hunting the peak of the rut in one if my best stands. At 8:30 I hear a buck grunting like a madman and he soon materialized 70 yards out. At 40 yards he hit my scent trail and bird dogged to 20 yards. I promptly blew the easy shot in the 18" 8 point sailing an arrow inches over his back. He spun ran 30 yards and stopped.

Wouldn't you know it he put his nose back to ground and stiff legged it right back to 20 yards!!! Well, I didn't blow the second one, and he now resides on my wall!! I'll never forget that miss though and the ensuing follow up chance.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I've missed a few deer that were head scratchers but my most memorable miss was a large hen turkey that walked right by me and I missed it with 3 shots with a shotgun in the fall season in 1984. Almost 30 years ago and I remember that one like it happened yesterday.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was on top of a ridge line at a cut where the big power lines go thru. About 50 yards downhill was one of the big metal towers. It was during flintlock season and the fog/clouds where rolling in and out so you could see then not see and back and forth it went. Down along the ridge I heard a shot and not long after while the fog was up I heard running and it stopped right down in front of me. I propped the gun up on a tree and stood ready and as the fog pulled away again I could see the deer right on the other side of the tower, I lined up and shot. The next sound I hear is DINK! I hit the 3 inch crossbeam on the tower right in front of the deer and off it went running.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
"Turkzilla" in the spring of 2006. The big ten that I had been scouting all summer on the first monday of the 09 archery season, chasing a doe like it was the peak of the rut. I will never forget one single moment of either of those hunts. They both still haunt me to this day!
Good thread! many times its the ones that got away that give us as fond of memories as the ones that we managed to harvest.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Opening day of rifle, kinda snow and icy, sitting on a ridge above rt80 near jersey shore exit. Heard a big bang all traffic stopped, than the sirens and all in predawn darkness, later found out a lady medivaced to geisinger danville, anyway, at about 830 I look down ridge away from point see a little 5 or 6 pt, about 40 yards away coming right at me I pull up and bang, my friend below shoots, I spin around to see a beauty of a 9 or 10 pt, about 35 yards behind a big rock oak, just his head exposed, so i aim, bang, he flies across the top like a rabbit through heavy laurel. I look hit edge of tree, my buddy missed him too, that stunk!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I got 2 The first one I missed behide my mothers house. 2 shots from a tree at a 12pt at 10 yards and the other one was at a whitetail buck that was black in color. I later found out that 3 other people had missed it from camp that day. I also found out that it was 6pt 5 one side and a spike.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Last day of buck many years ago I heard this crunching coming up a ravine below me. I am wondering why anyone would walk up the ravine with a logging road right along side of it. Suddenly I see antlers start to grow in the ravine and out comes a big 9 point at about 50 yards. Being over confident in my younger days I pulled up and instead of concentrating on the shot I was wondering if I should drag it myself or wait for my nephew. Bang and out of sight went the buck. Supremey confident I didn't even bolt out the empty from my .06 as I walked toward my trophy. Oh no, he asuddenly appears on a dead run away from me and then the whole hillside erupts in shooting. I missed him clean first shot and the one I hurried after him. Taught this guy a good lesson, make the shot and then worry about the drag.

·
Registered
10,970 Posts
About 5 years ago there were not one, but 3, HUGE bucks on a farm I was hunting. All of them were minimum 150" deer, seriously. On the first Thursday of the season, I was sitting in a ground blind at a spot where they were coming out of the woods and feeding. The second biggest one, which was an 11 point came out and was walking up to me. He took soooooo long to get in range that I cracked. The longer I had to watch him, the more rattled I got. He finally got to within about 30 yards and I released an arrow, only to watch it skip off his back. Needless to say, I never saw him again after that. My dad saw him the first Saturday of rifle season, but we never got him. To this day, it is the biggest buck I've had a chance to shoot at.

·
Premium Member
24,189 Posts
Back in the 80's I was hunting one afternoon on the side of a mountain. I heard something to my left and saw a giant of a 4 point feeding along the side. He was only about 40 yards away. I pulled up my 30-30 and held for the boiler room and touched it off only to hear a click. The gun misfired. I tried to eject another shell in as quietly as I could but when I did it heard me and took off. When I got back to camp I fired that same round off at a target. I still remember <span style="font-weight: bold">that </span> like it was yesterday.

Reactions: ruger300 and bohunr

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most memorable turkey miss...coupla years ago in Susq cty....set up, start calling lightly at first lite. Of course I get answers right away but I realize its just some toms still in roost. 15 minutes later I hear them fly down, give them a coupla minutes and then call again...nothing. wait 15 more minutes..call..nothing....sit till about 8:00, havent called in a half hour so i give it one more shot before i relocate. I hear one small cluck and notice about 120 yds away a nice gobbler working his way up along a stone wall. Gonna come right to me! I don't call, just sit and wait with my gun ready. Dude walks to within 25 yds, turns to his left and comes parallel to me. I wait till he sticks his head from behind a tree, now he is 20 yds tops...boom...he runs off and then flies...i search for over an hour...no way I could have missed him..unreal...hunt till 12 and kick myself for missing such an easy shot...as i am walking back to my truck a jump a coyote and at 45 yds on the run i shoot him in the head!

·
Administrator
29,947 Posts
It wasn't one miss, it was three.
Long story short (that way I don't need to go through the emotional roller coaster again
). I missed the same doe three times in about 15 minutes.....with my 12 year old son sitting next to me

She offered another shot, but no way was I walking out with an empty quiver and no deer to show for it.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
it was the last week of fall archery 1982 and i was trying to fill my 2nd N.J. tag i get after filling the first tag on my first deer ever....i nice 9 point weighing in at 180 dressed, oh i weighed 185 lbs in that picture....that walked past my stand at 9 yards when i sent my arrow through his heart....

back then you got one tag for each season with your license and after filling 1st tag you get a 2nd tag, you were aloud two deer a season then....after getting my 1st deer a day after my birthday and 2nd tag i was back in same wooden treestand on the last day of archery fall season when that magic last few minutes of legal shooting lighht was getting there fast....

i was sitting 20 yards from a swamp when i heard deer coming out through the dense stuff surrounding the swamp, when a BIG doe came out and trotted under my stand being chased by a BIG buck with wide 20" 10 point antlers

but they were running all around under my 16 foot high stand not stopping to give me a clear shot, did i mention this was my 1st year hunting and already had my 1st deer from the picture above....by this time i was shaking so bad just wishing one of these two deer would give me a shot, it didn't matter which one as both seemed to be over 200 lbs on the hoof

then i heard more sounds coming from the thick stuff on the edge of the swamp as did the other two deer which had stopped as well looking over where i was....then another HUGH BIGGER buck then what was here showed up to party wanting some loving from the doe....oh by the way was stinking up the area with her love smell....

this other much bigger buck walked out on the same path i shot my 9 point on and all i could do was gaulk at his massive 14 point antlers with all tines longer then 12" with brows at least 10" each
....my heart was pounding so hard i swear those deer could hear it....as he walked past me at 9 yards my 1st deer did and all i could do was drool and cream my pants at how HUGH this buck was, i never took the shot
....well then the fun started back up with both HUGH buck chasing the doe and each other away from the hot doe in heat all around and under my stand....

now i was wishing anyone one of these HUGH deer would give me another shot as i just blew the best shot i could have ever wished for, being the big guy was on the same 9 yard path and should have been shot
....so now legal shooting light is leaving fast and these 3 deer are still running around/under my stand, i'm screaming inside to STOP any of them....

well just at the last few minutes left the BIG boy stopped giving me a broadside shot at 25 yards, i raised my bow and drew back to left my arrow fly....all i heard was a loud thud that we all know what that sound comes from
....he turned sideways and was gone in a flash as it got dark, then i started to really shake bad and could barely stand up from this last 20 minutes of the season with my arrow shot at the biggest deer i have ever seen in my life
....well i did the 45 minute wait and not hearing any noise coming from the way they all charged off to i got down and went over looking for my arrow....

at first look bout i could not find my arrow
, but then i found it and it was as clean as it came from my quiver before the shot
....i paced it off twice and came up with 30 yards and just trimmed his chest hairs a bit as i found hair where my arrow was
yeah that sick feeling got me good....well i headed home and bout 100 yards i ran into a friend out hunting as well and told him bout my nightmare i just went through and asked if he heard anything come this way, as they headed his way....

he heard or seen nothing
and that was my infamous shot "miss" that i have ever had, i never seen another deer any where that size that night....i even went back out after shotgun season was over and hunted winter archery season as well....never heard of anyone getting this deer that year, one of my scouting trips after all seasons were closed looking for his body by chance he got hit and made back into the swamp....all i found was HUGH tracks that had to be his walking through the now frozen swamp that froze over after all seasons were closed....

glad to know this BEAST will be around next year for another chance at him, but never seen or heard of him again....my buddy who works just a mile from where i hunted was looking out his office window and seen this HUGH buck walking across a field bout a week after all seasons were closed, if it wasn't for him seeing this deer i told him bout he said he would never have believed me....to this very day i have never seen a buck as big as him, even on tv shooting shows, that is my story and i'm sticking to it folks....

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most memorable bear miss....1972...my first big game hunt ever. First day of bear with my dad and brother. Hunting in Noxen, pa. Wyoming County. This is true bear country. Hunting in an area called Cider Run. Drive up a game lands road and park. It is 4 am and we have at least an hour's hike so my dad told me. We are headed to the top of Cider Run to a swamp called Henry Lott. As we leave the truck ther is a guy posted by a log smoking a cigarette. Guy has a cast on his leg. I knew right then that these guys were serious about bear hunting. We walk in the pitch black up along this creek, all uphill. My dad, an ex-marine, had an unreal quality of walking in the dark in the middle of nowhere and being able to put you on a rock or against a big ole pine. Never knew how he did that. Well, he puts my brother on a stand and tells him we will be back to get him at 4:30...12 hours later!!! we then proceed up the mountain. At about 5 is he puts me on a rock with a tree wedged into it. He then leaves me for about 5 minutes and comes back. tells me that when it gets light I will see an orange ribbon hanging from a pine. If I get cold I am allowed to walk to that ribbon and back, no further. We were on top of the mountain by now. He leaves me and tells me he wont be far he will be back at noon to check on me. he leaves and i am sitting alone in the pitch black, only stars are out. My dad had this belief that you couldn't kill game unless you were posted at least one hour before it got light. Even if you didn't see squat till 3 in the afternoon, you had to be posted an hour before God woke up. So, this is my first big game hunt ever. By 8am I had eaten everything I had brought with me...had taken at least 5 walks to that god awful ribbon and back, was freezing my butt off from sweat on that stupid walk in and had not heard one shot. I was longing for my beagle who I hunted rabbits with for a month. Hunting while shooting at bunnies, staying warm cuz your walking, playing with a dog. this bear hunting was for the birds. well, as any 12 year old would do i decided I was gonna walk past that ribbon and over a knuckle that looked into the swamp. So I left my stand, walked past the ribbon and hiked up a little hill that looked into the swamp. I made sure I never lost sight of the ribbon cuz I was afraid I would get lost. Well, i did this a coupla times. Around noon I made one more trip and when i walked over the knoll there I stood looking at the biggest bear I had ever seen! I was only 50 yds from him. I was using an Ithaca double barrel shotgun with slugs. The gun never left my shoulder. The bear saw me and started jogging off. My jaw just dropped. I could not believe it. I stood there for 10 minutes then heard a string of shots as he ran down the ridges. About 130 my dad came to my stand..took one look at me and said.."you saw a bear didn't ya?" I just nodded and he laughed...I was hooked for ever.

So there ya have it guys...the Pennsylvania Grand Slam...I have missed them all!!! I am 52 now and I remember them all like they were yesterday. Not a thing I wouldn't give to be able to come back someday, be reincarnated, and miss them all again. Sorry that this was a bit long winded but I am missing my dad alot lately..I lost my hero 3 years ago...just wanted to share these stories with some hunters. Only a hunter would know how I feel.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I have two that I'm "reminded" about at least a dozen times every fall...

A few bear seasons ago, I was posted on the top edge of the hill waiting out the drivers. It was my fifth or sixth bear season at that point, and had still never even seen one while hunting them. Well, sure as God made little green apples, I heard a twig snap in front of me, and suddenly a 150-200lb bruin just materializes out of the slashings a mere 30 yards away. What happened next is still a little blurry, but the ol' Winchester 94 30-30 managed to kill three trees in four shots, and didn't cut a hair in the process. I was apparently a little fired up on the radio directly afterwards. To this day, that's the only bear I've seen while hunting them. I still hear about that miss within 20 minutes of arriving to bear camp, without fail.

My most famous deer miss was one that I should have never shot at in the first place. My father had just had back surgery and was missing his first hunting season in forever, and my little brother had already tagged a fine Maryland 8-point just down the hill from me an hour before. So, when the dinky 3-point spike was headed towards me, all I could think about was how happy it would make Dad if we both came home with bucks. I shouldered the slug gun, and when he stepped out from behind the tree at a mere 15 yards, I let him have it... Which would have worked out fine had that tree not gotten in the way of the slug. He took off, and I shot again... another dead tree (are you sensing a pattern yet?) He finally stopped about 70 yards out, and my third shot dropped him in his tracks. This is where the story gets interesting.

I got outta my tree and walked over to him, only to have the deer try to get up and bolt. I'm still not sure why I did it, but I never shouldered the gun, just John Wayne-ed at him from the hip, and of course missed. I then noticed that the deer's only wound was a graze across the top of his shoulder blades that had apparently disabled his rear legs. Well, knowing that my little brother was likely in tears laughing while listening to me do all this shooting, I decided to dispatch the deer silently with a knife.

Bad decision... after almost catching one of his spikes in my jugular, the deer drug himself down the hill and onto the neighbors' property, which took shooting at him again out of the equation. Last I saw of him, he had regained power to his rear legs and was walking away like nothing had happened.

To add insult to injury, the same doggone spike walked past me again weeks later in the late gun season, only that time I cut belly hair instead of shoulder hair. Apparently, that deer was just not supposed to die by my hand.

My little brother has a field day whenever that story comes up, which unfortunately is quite frequently in the fall months.

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
A double on yotes. Yes I met a guy from this site out in the Mojave desert. He was calling from a bush about 70 yards to my front off to the left. A yote comes down a draw and is hidden except for his head. He comes out of the draw in plain view but my truck is behind him so I wait. He runs in on the caller but no way am I shooting in that direction. The caller moves and the yote takes off up a hill, just loping along. I settle in on him with the scope and I catch the other yote closing in at warp speed. I figure when the second one catches up I will nail both of them. Shot went between both of them and I don't know how. Even tested the rifle and it was dead on.

Maybe Sig will see this and get another laugh. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,567 Posts
That sure is a hike from the cider run parking lot on over to South Mt and Henery Lott swamp. Need to bypass both windfall and sumner swamps to get there. The drag is worse than the hike. That is why I joind SMLA and come in the other side. Good story. Waugh!

Make that 3 swamps I almost forgot Baker.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
my worse miss was at a bear about 12 years ago.Saw it all archery season and the day before bear opened while putting my stand in.2nd morning it comes walking out of the swamp and sits down and starts eatting at 60 yards.I clean missed that one and still can't believe it.One of the easiest shots ever offered me

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Until 2011, I was riding a streak of killing deer in 28 of the past 29 seasons; usually at least 2 per year. Due to knee problems, I didn't walk quite as far from the SGL parkinh lot as I usually do on the rifle opener. I saw nothing all day. On the first Saturday I was feeling better, and ended up sitting along the edge of a hollow about 1 1/2 miles from my truck. About 8:30, I spotted a small doe headed towards me. It was a deer that I usually would have let pass, but I could see she was limping. She stopped about 50yds away, so I put the crosshairs on the white patch under her chin and squeezed off a shot. Expecting her to drop, I was surprised to see her just standing looking at me. As I worked the bolt for another shot, she ran up the hill and stopped about 70yds broadside. I settled on her chest and shot again, and watched her run up over the hill. I walked up expecting to find her laying, and she was gone. I looked for about an hour with no signs of the deer or even a hit.

I was extremely disappointed with myself because I shoot yearround, and consider myself a fairly good shot. I settled back into my spot, and just after lunch spotted 4 deer working their way down along the far side of the hollow. Thet were probably 120-140yds away, but I shoot from 100-300yds at the range with decent results. I had my shooting stick adjusted, and took the shot when one stopped broadside in an opening. Four deer raced back up over the brim on the other side. I marked the spot and made my way over. Nothing. I followed their tracks for a couple hundred yds; crossing back and forth checking for blood. Again nothing.

Even though I had my rifle to the range the week before the season, my only explanation was that my scope must be off. The next Monday after work I stopped at the range and drew a small (1") circle on somebodys leftover target at 100yds, set the rifle up on the bags, and fired 2 shots. No holes were visible thru the scope, so I walked out to check the target. Two small holes, right thru the circle. I still don't know what happened that day, and my family has busted me on for a year.
This past season, I killed three deer with three shots, and am happy to have my confidence back.

Reactions: bohunr
1 - 20 of 75 Posts