The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious of hunters experience getting permission to hunt on designated properties open to hunting on the Pa Game Commission maps.. in your experience is it somewhat selective when you ask permission? Do they want you let say to only hunt woodchucks and or predators? Are they open to allowing you to hunt fox at night? Do most welcome you to hunt big game? Just kind of your experience you found when you knock on the door and ask permission to hunt property open to hunting on Pa Maps in WMU?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
On the map the yellow circles have different marks for the restrictions... such as no deer hunting, no turkey hunting, etc. It's been awhile since I looked don't remember if any cover predator hunting. I've had limited success asking(deer, turkey or waterfowl) most places "have enough guys". I've got "sure" at one or two farms for geese only to find 3/4 other groups setting up needless to say we didn't add to that.

I'm in SE PA with tons of guys for the limited lands we can hunt. I know that a few near me are no longer in the "program". They need to "update" the map

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
as icemole stated, here in the south east, most of the time I was told there are enough or to many already have permission. I gave up asking a few years ago due to this. also as I am to old to offer much assistance in any way,shape or form to try to better my chances at being allowed to access someones property, I do not ask anymore.

as the population increases I think the few opportunities around will decrease........

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yep, same here in N.E. to many guys already hunting the property but that's good for deer hunting where I hunt on SGL keeps the numbers of hunters down on the SGLs.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
When I started hunting back in 1876, the one neighbor would let us hunt. We would ask every year and he would say yes. There was one condition , no hunting the first day of small game , that was reserved for him and his sons, but after that we were welcome . Now some one else owns part of the property and his daughter ha the other part. She does not allow hunting ,because she is an animal lover/

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Wow Northern Potter, i didnt know you were that old. That is a lot of years hunting when you started in 1876 lol. The map is not really updated, i have tried multiple properties that show up on the map only to find out they are no longer valid.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts