• 100 yards

Votes: 14 13.6%
  • over 100 yards

Votes: 5 4.9%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I have had only one kill past 100 yds which was 105 yds. In the right conditions(minimal foliage, brush etc cover, good light, proper rest) im good out to 100yds. Although, most all of my kills have been 75 yds or less since those "right conditions" rarely present themselves in the real world.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
For me 75 yards shooting off hand or better yet kneeling. But past 65 yards Id really like a good tree as a rest if ones handy.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
50 yards for me. My biggest issue is that I am right handed, but left eye dominant. My FL is a right hander and the spark goes up in my face somewhat. If I don't have a deer within 50 yards, I don't even shoot. Not fair to the deer for me to do it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Im pretty good at the range off a bench out to 100, never tried further. Real world conditions i try to keep it 50 or less but in the field if a shot opportunity "feels right" then i may take a longer shot. Longest field shot was 72yds shooting out of a treestand with shooting rail. Longest offhand leaning on a tree was 54. Have also passed on clear shots at much shorter range because something felt "off", whether it was me being shaky etc. My rifles are capable of shooting alot better than i am!!

·
Super Moderator
7,840 Posts
I'll take a supported shot to 100.....possibly even a smidge further. If conditions are just right.... i.e. relaxed, still deer, good solid shooting position, etc. I know the rifle and I are capable at that range.

Offhand.....I get a little squeamish about shooting much past 50-60, although I am capable of longer offhand shots. I feel better taking them when I've been shooting more frequently, and I don't get to shoot much DURING the seasons, because I'm generally hunting if I have time to be out. When I shot at the HHA winter woods walks a couple winters ago, a 75 yard offhand shot wasn't a big deal to me like it is when I haven't shot for a couple months.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Anymore I'm turning into a tree stand hunter even in late season with the flintlock. The older I get the pickier I am about the shot I take on a deer no matter the weapon. I hunt a lot of thick area's and really I am looking for a shot inside 50 yards at a deer that is unaware of my presence and hunting from a tree stand gives me my best opportunity. My buck I shot last weekend was 30 yards broadside and I was sitting in a tree stand resting off my knee and my round ball hit exactly where I aimed. For me I want inside 20 yards with a bow, 50 with the flintlock and 100 with a rifle.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Anymore I'm turning into a tree stand hunter even in late season with the flintlock. The older I get the pickier I am about the shot I take on a deer no matter the weapon. I hunt a lot of thick area's and really I am looking for a shot inside 50 yards at a deer that is unaware of my presence and hunting from a tree stand gives me my best opportunity. My buck I shot last weekend was 30 yards broadside and I was sitting in a tree stand resting off my knee and my round ball hit exactly where I aimed. For me I want inside 20 yards with a bow, 50 with the flintlock and 100 with a rifle.
Pretty much exactly my thoughts anymore!

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
Pretty much exactly my thoughts anymore!

Same here.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
The older I get the closer I perfer the deer to be. I have taken deer nearly straight down with both bow and gun, my only flintlock pistol deer when I bought it last year was a rangefinder measured 55 yards at an unalerted, standing still, broadside, completely in the clear, button buck, shooting off the rail of a ladder stand. (The pistol is sighted for 50 yds, and prints 1 1/2" at that range off sand bags). The harvests with muzzleloading rifles and my 20ga bolt slug gun have not gone beyond 125 yards. My best groundhog was 420 yards with a 22/250, and 238 yards with a 17 HMR. I never shoot at a deer offhand, not very good at that.

·
Super Moderator
12,994 Posts
I try to let deer approach as close as I think they are going to come with any weapon I am carrying, safely within my sure kill range and I take the first available double lung shot. In my younger days I did not hesitate to shoot squirrels freehand with a rifle hiding in the branches of the tallest of trees; however, I now attempt to use a rest whenever possible and a steady stance for compound bow.

It is very important for all of us to know our limits and only take shots at deer which will strike a sure kill area for our proven talents.

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
Since this is my first year hunting with a flintlock 50 yards and under with a rest

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Good Thread Blackpowder!!

Nice reading how fellow smokers are so ethically considering their flinter shots on game!!:smile2:

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have only taken one animal in excess of 100 yards and that was this year with my elk, 140 yards by my range finder off a big pod tripod. I have taken one deer at 100 yards unsupported. Most of my deer shooting is between 65 and 20 yards and a couple closer than that. Where I hunt deer a 100 yard shot would be an unsafe shot because of a couple of houses that I can't see but know where they are.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I can hit what I am aiming at out to a tad over 100yds with a solid rest. But the limits of PRB I keep shots under 75yds and pick my shots. Prefer to keep it 50 yds and under (won't shoot offhand over 50 yds) but the last few have been between 60-70 yds. I shoot a lot and know what my rifles will do and can be confident on the shots going where I want them. But like I said, I have to remember the power limits of my loads

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my off hand limit is 50 give or take. but, I seldom hunt without my shooting sticks or bipod. shooting off of those sitting down, which I always do, I am very confident out to 150 yards and not afraid of 200 yards IF the conditions are perfect. this from the rifle that is set up for hunting moose and I have shot a lot and know very well. I need to get my double/flip up sight on and that will eliminate hold over to compensating for drop.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
my off hand limit is 50 give or take. but, I seldom hunt without my shooting sticks or bipod. shooting off of those sitting down, which I always do, I am very confident out to 150 yards and not afraid of 200 yards IF the conditions are perfect. this from the rifle that is set up for hunting moose and I have shot a lot and know very well. I need to get my double/flip up sight on and that will eliminate hold over to compensating for drop.

What is the load you worked up for moose at those ranges? 200 yards is a long ways. With the site that's on the rifle now what range is it dead on at?

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
324 grain round ball at 1500 fps., that's with 90 grains of 3F. on at 100, 12" low at 150 and about 30" low at 200. the new sight will be sighted in at right on at 100 with the fixed and right on at 200 for the flip up. its the same sight that I have on my .32 cal for woodchuck hunting.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts