The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in another post that I use a 4 1/4" straight fixed blade Case XX knife for my every day deer dressing chores. I'm thinking about buying another knife with an orange handle and sheath that I'm less likely to lose. I started looking.... so many options.... straight blade, drop point blade, gut hook, skinner blade... I'm confused. In particular, I'm wondering about gut hook blades. Does anybody use them? Do you like them? Pros? Cons? I like my current style of knife, but am not married to it, and don't want to overlook other options that I may like better if I were to try them. Thanks in advance for your input. It will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
I went in a different direction....When i saw a guide in Utah using a Havalon knife to cape out an elk, I was hooked. I’ve used them for 8 years now, and have 5 of them. I order the blades 100 at a time, and I do all my fur skinning with the Havalon. I’ve skinned several moose with them, along with dozens of deer. I love having a knife that is razor sharp all the time. The downside to them is that they are so sharp that they’ll cut you just looking at them. I ran one into my thumb in 2013, a complete pass through.

They come with a nice pouch, in which I carry a couple extra blades, several small zip ties for taking deer, and my tail stripper for skinning fur bearers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts