The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a heck of a time with a 15 year old cousin of mine. Ive taken him out twice now calling at night for song dogs. First time I brought a pair racing in within 45 seconds. They trotted from left to right in front of us at 75 yards. He couldn't find them in his scope. They had enough and left.
Took him out for the second time last night. Located a few dogs, brought them in at 100 mph from about 1/2 mile out. Called them right in with a pleading chicken. They came right by us through the woods into the field. Stopped dead, broadside, at 60 some yards again. He missed.

Im not even frustrated with him. I am getting a cheap thrill out of his level of excitement each time out. Granted he is spooking my hot spots, but that's ok. Its worth it. I might bring a shotgun along next time. I seldom let them get into shotgun range before I kill them. Im thinking Ill have to change my style to help this kid seal the deal. What a blast watching kids learn the way of the woods.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
By the sounds of it . . you are both having a blast . . . deal closed! Maybe he is missing on purpose ... then you have to keep taking him out

·
Registered
927 Posts
Maby you could give him the shotgun? sounds like youv got some great spots.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll tote a shotgun along next time. Ive been leaving a gun behind on giving his success my full attention. I do have great spots. But they're no better or worse then any other spot. I stay on top of constant scouting and only hunt my spots that I know have dogs there at the time. Or atleast have had dogs there within the last 48 hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts