The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally heard some birds near home yesterday before work and last evening while me and both my sons were loading up my truck for a long weekend hunting and fishing in NY I mentioned the fact that I heard them. My youngest son left to go home about roosting time and he stopped by the property and hooted and got a gobble. He called me up and we made plans for a quick one this morning. We got in early and half hour later the symphony began. A couple of tree calls and turkeys began dropping out of the trees like crazy. Three longbeards and no telling how many jakes...they just kept coming. Didn't here or see one hen.

I was not in good shooting position as the birds approached, but my son was and he crushed one of the longbeards at twenty yards.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Of course you know.. the phrase "smashes one" in today's use doesn't mean to harvest an animal.. :)

Awesome though!

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Nice beard on that bird. Love to know hear there are some jakes around. They will be hard charging 2 year olds next spring.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a weird year. This is the second time this spring I've seen a bunch of Gobblers and jakes together all in one spot and not a bird in all the other perfect turkey woods. It's like they never broke up.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice beard on that bird. Love to know hear there are some jakes around. They will be hard charging 2 year olds next spring.
Had some good hooks too. Didn't measure them at the time (had to go to work) but probably 1.25".

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Don't we all wish every hunt went like that. Heckuva day and great bird! Nothing gets the blood flowing like a chorus of gobbles.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Nice bird congrats!!

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts