The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do young Ramps look like? ... I have been looking all around my property and do not seem to see any in the woods? ... I know folks on here are indicating they are picking them already all over the place ... I live about 20 miles north of Pittsburgh they should be out now right?

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
I live alittle north of you in saxonburg and I have never found any around us. Maybe they aren't in our area?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know seems odd ... They should be in the area though ... They say they grow all the way up into Canada ... After reading on here the past few days that others in PA/OH have been picking them, I thought I would take a stroll through the woods last night and look for sum ... I have over 100 acres of woods to pick them in ... There has to be some in there

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
I thought the same thing and walked all over my area and haven't found any.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Ramps can be found all over the state, however, they are "patchy", meaning you just don't find them in most woodlots. Your best bet in finding a patch, it to walk along creek banks, and check moist hollows that run down to a creek.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
I have a creek on our property still no luck. If I ever find some I am gonna try to relocate them. Do deer eat them?

·
Registered
36,348 Posts
Deer don't eat them, at least not that I know off; I imagine they're too pungent for them. Yeah, I don't understand why leeks aren't wide spread up here in the northern parts of the state. I now live in in NW PA. near Tidioute. I'm surrounded by more than 2,000 acs. of woods. I've searched everywhere and haven't found one yet! There is one small patch the neighbor knows of. When I had my camp in Potter County there were so many leeks you didn't know where to dig first, whole mountainsides were covered with them!

·
Registered
193 Posts
The wife and I dug some a few weeks ago in Warren county. You had to rake away the leaves to find them. There were no leaves on them yet. They were nice and hot, made great dip.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I've got them growing all around my camp. I just had my first bowl of home made leek and potato soup this past weekend. I love this time of year. Bell's meat market in Kane makes a killer leek sausage with locally grown ramps.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
If I ever find some I am gonna try to relocate them
Leeks are easily transplantable. Pretty much just like planting an onion set. I have a transplanted patch that is about 5 years old now. They come up every year, however, the drawback is, they don't seem to proliferate (spread). What you plant is what you get.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
I was hoping they would spread.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
My guess is if you did some research, and found out when seeds get deposited, you can keep an eye on them and enhance your chances. I never pursued it to that degree.

·
Registered
36,348 Posts
You could try collecting the seeds in late summer or fall. The flower spike produces little round, shiny black seeds. They're easy to pick, but only trouble is many just roll out of your hand. Use a paper bag, slip bag over seedpod and just shake into bag. You have to beat the turkeys and grouse to them though!

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold">I've got them growing all around my camp. I just had my first bowl of home made leek and potato soup this past weekend.</span>

Made a very large batch this past week as well. The leeks were small but tasty! chopped the greens up and gave them to the chickens. If you find any, they are worth harvsting a few and putting them to use. Keystonepaul

·
Registered
36,348 Posts
When they're young you can eat the whole plant, leaves and all. I just sautee them in a big frying pan with butter.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
Bearclaw said:
When they're young you can eat the whole plant, leaves and all. I just sautee them in a big frying pan with butter.
Or you can do what we did Saturday. Mince them up and mix them with venison burger then cook them over the fire. We also gave a bunch to my buddy to dry out in his smoker. We'll grind them up and put them in a shaker for rampy goodness all year round.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Tip: Travel to the Wolf Creek Trail near Slippery Rock. I did spot a patch traveling east on Rt. 80 just before you get to the Barkeyville Exit. Leeks are not everywhere and do not reproduce quickly and sometimes don't reproduce at all. I have been picking them for thirty years and they are tough to figure. Do not over pick an area or it will never recover.

Kinzua Man

·
Registered
813 Posts
Nice posts guys! I live in Elk county and there is tons of leeks north of St. Marys These Hill sides filled with them! Ever hear of Leek Fest? well its close to where these hillsides of leeks are at. If anyone wants to know send me a PM and ill tell you where at to pick em. with that being said, Other then that area, I shed hunt and turkey hunt almost every single day from march till June and walk hundreds of miles walking and I only come across leeks once in a great wile, 99% of them I find are on hillsides towards the very bottom in damp areas. and when I do find a patch of them they are small patches like 30ft x 10ft and that is plenty for a guy or two to pick from but not a crowd of leek pickers. I pick about 2 or 3 small mason jars a year and freeze them. Now most guys like to pick them early when they are very small cuz they are stronger but honestly i wait till May to pick em cuz I prefer them larger (marble size). they are just as good and i think they are just as strong imo, so im happy with doing that. I just found another a new spot 2 weeks ago close to my house that I highly doubt anyone knows of. so I was pumped to find this spot cuz its easy to get to and close to home but in a weird spot where only a hunter might walk.
So if anyone wants any leeks send me a PM and I can either pick ya some or tell ya that mother load spot North of St. Marys. I just keep the small little patches i find to myself.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Kinzua Man said:
Tip: Travel to the Wolf Creek Trail near Slippery Rock. I did spot a patch traveling east on Rt. 80 just before you get to the Barkeyville Exit. Leeks are not everywhere and do not reproduce quickly and sometimes don't reproduce at all. I have been picking them for thirty years and they are tough to figure. Do not over pick an area or it will never recover.

Kinzua Man
Well if that spot is about three miles before the Barkeyville exit I saw that patch this morning. I drive past there to work every day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts