The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
15,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - New York has authorized fluorescent pink as alternative protective coloring for young hunters in an appeal to girls who'd rather not wear blaze orange.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has signed the law making solid or patterned pink optional for the typical fluorescent orange worn by hunters.

Either color is required for licensed deer or bear hunters who are 14 or 15 years old and their accompanying adults.

Until now at least half of their garments above the waist had to be fluorescent orange and visible from all directions, amounting to at least 250 square inches.

Sponsors say they're trying to reverse the statewide decline in hunting and fishing, saying pink may help attract more girls to outdoors.

Neither color particularly reveals hunters to their prey.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Not sure about this. My reason is when Pa archers had to wear F/O during the overlap I would look for Maple trees during that time period their leaves would change to bright red/orange and made real nice back ground to F/O. Same reason I'm not in favor of "safety green" - during spring green up under the right lighting it is real tuff to see road workers - during Normal hunting in fall not much of a problem but spring ground hog could be.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Fleroo said:
Why limit it to 1-15 year olds ? If the color is just as effective safety-wise as Flo Orange, I would certainly consider a hot pink jump suit.
Because orange...or pink...is not required in NY for small game (the only thing those under 14 can hunt), you have to be 14 to hunt big game and you don't have to wear orange at all from age 16 on for anything. So, there's no requirement for those over 15 because there's not requirement at all anyway.

I think I've got that right....it's been a few years since I hunted up there and I didn't have to concern myself with the youth rules so, frankly, I didn't bother.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
....and you can use semi-autos (both pistols and rifles), hunt on Sunday and one season runs right up to the next....archery ends on Friday, rifle starts on Saturday, etc. You can also kill three deer with the tags that come with your archery/rifle/muzz licenses.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I really dont think a color change is going to be the determining factor if a girl wants to hunt or not. But as long as it meets the visibility criteria I see nothing wrong with it.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I don't think girls don't hunt because they have to wear orange. It's not like they are going out to the mall to see boys. They don't care what they are wearing in the woods.

rop them by an electronic device at age 2 and at 27 kick them out...thats parenting now.
Except for the kicking out at 27. Does that really happen? Or are they still there in their 30s?

·
Registered
18,571 Posts
I don't think girls don't hunt because they have to wear orange. It's not like they are going out to the mall to see boys. They don't care what they are wearing in the woods.
Agree. Making a fashion statement is usually the last thing on a hunter's mind male of female. We know there are exceptions but we normally don't make rules for exceptions. Waugh!

BTW I think other bright colors would and could work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.