The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a article i found and i like to share .

Last December, we posted the story of one Ryan Paul Jackson, a then-19-year-old who cut the fence at a deer farm about 20 miles from my home and shot a 21-point buck with his bow. Jackson then dragged the buck from the enclosure, registered it at a local gas station, and proceeded to haul it around town for bragging and posing for photo sessions.

He even posted photos of the buck on his Facebook page before hiring a taxidermist to do the mount. But not so surprisingly, Jackson’s glory was short-lived. Within days of his night poaching raid, authorities had confiscated the buck’s head and Jackson was in jail.

The buck Jackson killed was valued somewhere between $15,000-$20,000. During the theft, 10 other deer escaped the enclosure, including two other adult bucks of lesser monetary value than the 21-pointer. Eight of the deer returned to the pen, but the two bucks remain at large.

According to the Rochester (MN) Post-Bulletin, Jackson pled guilty to a charge of theft, while three other charges against him were dropped. He was fined $54,176.25 in restitution costs, was sentenced to 120 days in the county jail, and will be on probation for 10 years, during which he cannot hunt, trap or fish.

In poaching cases, we’re always measuring the punishment against the crime. It’s pretty typical to feel the violator got off easy, and we scream for more jail time or bigger fines. Those reactions are fine; when we collectively holler “Throw the book at him!” it shows our unified disdain for lawbreaking. But I think Jackson’s punishment is pretty nearly appropriate. Jackson is barely 20 years old and, it seems, not overly bright. Many of us did something spectacularly stupid when we were his age. Also, his fine is a substantial setback, considering the economy. I wouldn’t have lost sleep if Jackson had lost DNR privileges for life, but a decade hiatus is, I suppose, enough. Jackson will be 30 when he can buy a license again. Perhaps by then he’ll have had time to realize what a colossal idiot he was as a teenager, and decide to act in a more honorable manner as he matures.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
We were all young and dumb at one point in our lives. He was an adult at the time of the incident in which he deserves to be tried as an adult. I agree that the $ amount on the fine seems a little harsh given his age. But I'm sure because of that he won't be young and dumb after this.

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
I think they just fixed "Stupid"

at least for him.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
What kind of moron would think that someone, mainly the guy who owned the deer pen, wouldn't recognize this deer? I think his sentencing was in line with the crime. The owner of the deer pen took a big hit on this and deserves to be compensated. Not sure about the 10 year revocation.... This was more a crime against the owner of the deer, rather than the state's wildlife. As for his jail time, a 19 year old outta be able to do 120 days standing on their head.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
A decade is a long time if you love hunting, but what he did was just a case of young stupidity. We are all young once and do things we are not proud of and would like to forget. that said, he is still young enough to learn from it. Or let it lead him down a road that has something even worst at the end. It is his choice.

I am not sure he understood the implications of stealing a giant like that off a preserve. From the day they get their first set I am sure they are cared for like a family pet.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Should be charged and penalized for theft, but not lose hunting/trapping/fishing privileges. Has nothing to do with hunting, just stealing a deer....

·
Banned
851 Posts
He got what he deserves. Hopefully the penalty will discourage other poachers, but I doubt it. I cannot tolerate poachers of any kind for any reason. Being poor and needing meat is no exception to me. There are plenty of other means to get food if you need it. Being a kid isn't an excuse either. Respect for the game you are after should be taught at an early age. I can't believe some of these people call themselves sportsman, and have the nerve to pose with their illegally killed animal. It makes me sick.

·
Banned
851 Posts
If he has the nerve to shoot an animal that's basically livestock or some bodies pet, then do you think he would think twice about poaching a big wild deer if the opportunity arose? I think not. So to me loosing hunting privlages was a good move.

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
I would have banned him from hunting until the restitution is paid in full.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree 100%. Drives me insane when I find dead bucks during rifle season that aren't legal and you know what the story was. There are a lot of sick people out there and it's said that some of them are "sportsmen". They not only give us a terrible name and reputation but they also cheat you and me. I encourage anyone to confront poachers even if they are our friends. To me it's just the most unethical and disrespectful act there is. No respect for Nature, no respect for God's creations, no respect for your fellow man and sportsman. I feel the only way we can stop poaching is to get active and not be afraid to confront those that do it and also harsher penalties. The harder you come down on a person the first time for poaching the less likely that person commits a similar act again, IMO.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
It depends if he was charged with a felony theft or not. The difference between a misdemeanor and felony theft is usually the amount you stole in most states. If he was charged with a felony most likely he will never get a good job or ever own a gun and that could be a punishment for life.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
the fines are for the deer that was est at 15/20,000 plus....yeah the punishment fit this crime !!!....

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
also I seen the PGC hand out heavy fines for shooting a buck in a non-hunting community, I think it was bout 3500.00....

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
He is an outlaw and this was verified when he cut the fence to kill an animal he knew darned well was not meant to be hunted. Banning him from hunting for a day or a lifetime is not going to stop this POS from his illegal lifestyle and he will continue poaching. On another note, I bet this kid has the IQ of a termite and no, that is not meant to give him a pass.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Jackson pled guilty to a charge of theft, while three other charges against him were dropped. He was fined $54,176.25 in restitution costs, was sentenced to 120 days in the county jail, and will be on probation for 10 years, during which he cannot hunt, trap or fish.
Seems he was jailed for 4 months on a theft charge which was on the light side. Not knowing his past it may be a first offence type deal. I still think it was on the low side of sentencing. even with the 10 years of probation.
NO fine???? Just restitution the kid got off real light.

I don't think I would call this poaching but maybe a case could be made because he tried to pass it off as wild game.
I would call it rustling but than someone would want to do the rope thing.
So theft it is and a lesson learned hopefully. He could have paid for a good college education. I guess I will never understand the value some people put on a set of antlers or a deer. Waugh!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
The other two buck will show up during a scoring session after this all blows over.
Waugh!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
He was fined $54,176.25 in restitution costs?

If he stole that in cash from a legitimate business, the penalty would be much worst. But, the crime in question is only valuable since we place such a high value on antlers. And as other posters had said, a poacher does not need a season or a reason to do what they do. A 10 year ban will probably not hinder someone if they wanna poach.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
2 guys in my area was the first a some years ago to test the new system of loosing thinking for ten years and in most of the 48 states. One of them I still don't think learned his lesson lost his prior time for like 3 years. I'm one for giving everyone a fair chance that made a mistake in life to fix it and move on even at 19. A felony will never go away, never can own a gun, vote, scar his work record. I never seen any of the details of his past to really opinionate though. On the flip side he stole something!!! I'm a business myself and would of been quite unhappy to see something from my business stolen. This was someone's livelihood that is very serious. If I loose 30k + of my equipment I might have to lay someone off. People that is not in business might not understand the serious of this. Then go and do a check in, there is where the game violation comes in at. All of this to say hay look at me what I did! The restitution might take 50 years for him to pay back, ive seen things like this before not work. These are the facts I see. I would say 3-5 years in jail 5 years probation. The restitution costs, fine not really sooner see other paid. Felony charge will prevent him from firearms don't think he will be purchasing license. 200 community hours assisting Penn Dot and PgC cleaning up roadkills and handling crop damage deer that has been killed. Since this guy enjoys hauling a deer around, he will really like this job. I look at this if he robbed a bank or store. I don't think any bank robber has made off with 50k lately.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I bet he knew exactly what he was doing. The showing off of the deer was his ego gone wild. When we keep our egos from running our lives, it keeps us from much folley.

Would like to see a stiffer jail sentence for this Lad. Stealing is stealing, a penny or 50k.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
There is noway that guy is ever going to pay his fine or find a good job. He will be cutting lawns and making money under the table and will be on goverment assistence for life. also I don't think he will ever stop hunting. a hunting license does not mean anything to a guy like that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts