The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Susquehanna River at Wilkes Barre, Pa... Did some serious fishing off of the sewer entry by the Market Street Bridge.. Suckers, Carp most times... However you look at your line and there would be toilet paper on it...
Now near Harrisburg, Pa Small Mouths have tumors on them.. What a shame that our old timers allowed for the sewers to be dumped into the Susquehanna... I know they didn't know better... We use to eat the fish but would not eat them below the railroad bridge by Cambells Ledge above Pittston... I never used a spin cast on the river in WB... Always open bail...You can just imagine how much bacteria was on that fishing line...Oh well I don't have any humps on my back, boils, nor a pointed head...Again we never ate the fish but we sure did catch them... I might have fished there about 3 times when I was a kid... Interesting what kids did back in 1960 time frame... Oh the Susquehanna River what have they done to you!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I had a friend that was wading by the Rockville Bridge years ago for small mouths. Cut his foot and ended up with a blood infection and died. I'll pass fishing around Harrisburg. Of course all that crap is probably flowing out of the state capital building.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
40 yrs ago it was pollution you could see, now the water looks clean and cool. We've gone from industrial waste to Pharm. waste and not only from the factories but also from each of us as we are all overmedicated !!!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
as a kid back in the 70s I was fishing a spinner in the Delaware river in philly.

I hooked into something and every time I pulled it would resist ,but was not putting up much of a fight.

what broke the surface was a prophylactic device that I hooked by the rim.
every time I pulled it filled up like a sea anchor..,
musta held like a pint of water and still took several snaps to get it off the hook.

they just don't make things like they used too

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
twistedoak said:
as a kid back in the 70s I was fishing a spinner in the Delaware river in philly.

I hooked into something and every time I pulled it would resist ,but was not putting up much of a fight.

musta held like a pint of water and still took several snaps to get it off the hook.

Okay dude, there must be a very sad story to go with your last sentence and the reference to prophala-whatever. HPA is here for you to confide in. Remember though, this is a family site.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
The Juanita Creek emptied into the Delaware in NE Philly. Sewers dumped right into the creek. The creek was loaded with those things. I also remember knowing you were near the Delaware. It was an open sewer and you could smell two blocks away. It is much better now.

BTW so is the Susquehanna. We fished it today a Wysox. We caught a lot of small smallmouth but no sores or lesions.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
BTW so is the Susquehanna. We fished it today a Wysox. We caught a lot of small smallmouth but no sores or lesions. [/quote] Did the same at Catawissa Wed & Thurs mornings, most were in the 10-12 range and clean.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
atr said:
wow you guys could depress a lotto winner
Depress? Were trying to tell you we have it great today compared to how it was in the 50's and 60's.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agree as a kid we use to swim in cave holes that filled up with rain water and there was a shoe factory that would pump white powder into the stream that also fed it.. Finally the third eye I had on my forehead has now seize to exist. "Time heals all wounds!!!!"

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Laylow wow that is sad! Do you know if he cut it on a rock or a old piece of metal? People that get cut by all kinds of things need to go to a doc. The dreaded MURSA Is on everything!!!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
twistedoak said:

You could have used it as a Drift sock for a small boat...

·
Registered
26,075 Posts
the pollution is why there are fish consumption advisories in the fishing book. every specie has a consumption advisory except yellow perch.

they must be immune from what ever is affecting the others.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I was a kid I use to fish in a pond out in Orange, Pa... Luzerne County.. They called it Fantas... All the perch were healthy but they had blue dots all over their head and body.. I can't ever remember seeing Yellow Perch with the blue dots anywhere else in Pa.????????

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I remember fishing Trindle Springs in Cumberland County years back...Caught a large Brown Trout and as I removed the entrails the meat started falling off it's bones like it had cancer or something...Later it was determind that a large business in the area was burying all kinds of caustic substances that did go into the stream...I have never returned to fish there after that.. However I know there are some nice size Native trout in this stretch... It enters into a large warm water fishery stream the runs through all of Cumberland county.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.