The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a vehicle for myself this summer, I am mechanically inclined but I know nothing about electronics I am pretty sure that I am going to be getting a Wrangler, but that is kinda neither here nor there. This question stems from just finishing a timing belt replacement on my sister in laws neon. What is the advantage of a coil pack over a distributor, and due to the fact that I don't really understand them does anyone what years most manufactures made the switch from the distrib to the coil pack?

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I don't know the answer either, but anytime I don't, Google does. I generally read a couple articles to get a consensus and if you're looking for a step-by-step guide, there are videos on Youtube of dang near everything!

·
Registered
134 Posts
As for what year the switch happened that is tough to say. They started showing up on vehicles in the mid 80s. Distributors were almost all gone by the mid to late 90s. The advantages to the coil pack are precisely controlled timing and less moving parts, in theory making a more reliable vehicle. Now almost all coil packs have been replaced by coil on plug setups where every cylinder has its own coil right on top of the plug. This setup is nice because it eliminates the plug wires. Also coil packs and coil on plugs designs produce a much stronger spark than a distributor. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotcha thanks nick I appreciate it that does help. I guess I am just not very good with electric so I tend to like everything being mechanical, to me it just makes more sense.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You are not alone in your thinking. I fix trucks for a living and I work with plenty of guys that still have a tough time with electrical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts