The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work this morning I saw something outrageous. On Kennywood Blvd. near the Rankin Bridge, I saw what I am 100% certain was a doe fallow deer. All the spots and coloration and tail were clearly visible. Where could this deer have come from???

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you serious? I mean is there a plausible explanation for this? Im positive thats what it was. If it came from Turtle creek somewhere, it would have had to have crossed the river.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i think you can shoot them in MD. think it says that in the rules thing. LOL. also one time im almost sure i seen a dead kangaroo along the high way in VA. people can buy anything

·
Registered
800 Posts
I saw a fallow buck on public hunting ground on the 2nd day of rifle and didn't know what it was. It looked wounded and I found out later it was killed by someone. This was in Mercer County.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Thanks, Dean. I took that fallow deer buck in New Zealand in April of 2006. At the time, it was ranked number 5 on the SCI list, but I had no idea how good it was when I shot it. I usually don't measure my animals, but the outfitter wanted this one put into the SCI book so he got it measured. The photo doesn't do it justice. Here is a photo of the pedistal mount my taxidermist did. The full mount of the animal behind the pedistal is of a tahr that I got on the same trip. Fallow bucks tend to be dark in color when they are mature and the does are spotted.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Hey George, the angle that deer was laying didn't show the palmation the pic on the pedistal shows, looks like two different deer but I can see it is the same one.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
No problem, John. Just as an aside, the valley in the background of the field shot is the valley in which the great battle scene in the movie Lord Of The Rings: Return of the King was shot.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I kind of thought that was New Zealand, beautiful country.

·
Registered
25,785 Posts
No problem, John. Just as an aside, the valley in the background of the field shot is the valley in which the great battle scene in the movie Lord Of The Rings: Return of the King was shot.
He has them all on the boxed DVD set, fan that he is.

Things get loose in PA, because there are "preserves" in many areas of the state. Many years ago a red stag escaped from one of them in Tioga County and the owners had posted a reward for info leading to it's whereabouts.

We saw that ad in the local weekly paper come deer season and it struck us funny. One of my buds figured them stag antlers were already on someone's barn by then?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts