The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle started taking me on hunting trips when I was about 10. My parents would always give me money but my uncle would never let me pay for anything. After hunting it was always a tradition that we would go to McDonald's after hunting. He would look at me and say "Go get the straws and napkins I've got this one". "One day I'll be retired and you'll be working then you can get me lunch". Well my Uncle Harold is retired now it really felt good the first time I told him to "Go get the straws and napkins". For some reason there is nothing like a warm big mac after sitting in the woods in freezing cold weather for hours. I am thankful for my Uncle Harold for teaching me about the outdoors and I'm proud to tell him to go get the straws and napkins now.

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
Great story I also hunted with my uncle alot when I was younger next year I will hunt with him at least one day so I can live out the old days, and hopefully he gets a deer so I repay him for gutting and help drag my first deer out.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Nice story. My dad died when I was 17 and my uncle has been my hunting buddy for the last 22 years. Like yours, he always picks up the tab

·
Super Moderator
29,168 Posts
Great story

It's a great part of maturing when we can reverse the roles, and say thank you for all the thing our older folks have done for us.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
nl. cool story.

The McDonald's in Dubois certainly means one thing to me and that is "trip to camp". Dad would always stop there for dinner during our 5 hour trips from the Burgh to Potter. Old Pap always got coffee and a Qtr Pounder and would sip that dang coffee forever driving us nuts cause we wanted to get back on the road and get there so bad. Funny thing is my brothers and I spent alot of those trips riding in the capped bed of Dad's Ford truck and the bumpy , winding roads that lay just ahead along the river from there to camp always did us in and had us searching for the coffee can...talk about fast food. I remember how happy we were when Dad finally bought a blazer and we got to sit in an actual seat and digest a dinner like they did...good times in my life. Funny the details in other's stories will bring up in your own mind.

Anyway, sounds like your Uncle Harold is one great guy, treat him well. Hard to thank one that gave us the gift of the Outdoors properly, but we should never quit trying..BTW, maybe let him super-size it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rooster nice reply! I enjoyed reading that. It's funny the feeling that certain places give you if you visit them years later that you once associated with the outdoors. When my Uncle Harold and I were in a club in Hunterdon County NJ we would always stop at a place called Cool's on Rt 12 for milk shakes after hanging stands in the summer heat. Or to warm up after sitting all day in the woods on a cold winter day with a cup of coffe and a burger and fries. We weren't as scent conscious back then. Opening day of firearm the whole club would meet there for breakfast. I often wonder if that's why I didn't tag out on some of those firearm openers. Whitetails really don't like the smell of bacon grease. That place has changed names a couple times since then. But it's still Cool's to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts