The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hearing more and more coyotes up at Camp
and been thinking of taking a stab at it.
For those toting a Shotgun, what loads and choke
do you prefer.
I have some friends that have taken them down with standard Turkey loads.
Just wondering what the general choice is?

Thanks ahead for any input.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Dead Coyote choke tube and #4 buckshot

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
12ga 3"

·
Registered
924 Posts
with #4 buckshot - you do not need a pricey choke...std modified is fine... Pattern a few shots at 25, 35, 45 yards before you go out on hunt.

#4 will reach out and drop a yote dead - within a realistic ethical range of 40 yds max IMO

Call them in close - that's the best part of the chess game.

·
Premium Member
5,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HD1969
I was thinking of trying the standard screw in chokes I have
to see what kind of Pattern I get before shelling out the $$
for a new choke.
I have a low end Fox Pro caller , so next time up Potter
I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I got a ton more pellets in an 18" circle, at 40yds, with my dead coyote choke tube and 3" #4 buck vs any of my factory supplied chokes. It is the same diameter as my turkey choke, but made for big lead. Each gun is different, but the dead coyote tube has outperformed all others in the few shotguns I have seen them used in.

·
Registered
602 Posts
There is no perfect choke/load for every gun. What is perfect in say one 870 will throw pellets all over the place in another identical 870. If you want max performance you have to experiment with different combos. Personally I didn't have much luck with the dead coyote tubes in multiple shotguns. Only one 870 super mag I had really liked them with 4 buck. Kicks chokes have done very well for me. If you like tinkering get yourself a roll crimper and load your own. Ballistic products is a good source for shotshell reloading supplies

·
Registered
20,138 Posts
the first time i shot a coyote,it was at 40 yards.

remington 870 12 ga 3 inch mag #4 buck with a dead coyote choke, dropped it on the spot just like they do on TV

i was amazed to say the least.

·
Registered
18,518 Posts
Dead Coyote in either T-shot or #4 Buck. Also Winchester has come out with a new predator shell which uses the same technology as their Longbeard XR shells. I purchased two boxes and it patterns fantastic. Only draw back is that it is lead and not a heavyweight shot.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
Check out the RIO Royal # 4 Buckshot... It's cheap and powerful...You can get it in boxes of 5 or 25.. I use it all the time when hunting for fox just in case a coyote shows to my calling... There is a lot of good comments about RIO Royal buckshot loads.. both # 4 and 00!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Dollar for dollar Remington's 3 in #4 buckshot will and is about perfect, $5.50 for 5 won't break the bank either, 41 pellets of about .243 will kill em out to 75 yard with no problem.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Save your hard earned money, standard Remington 12 ga 3 in number 4 buckshot will for the most part do the same thing as shells costing ten times as much...I've seen dozens of coyotes killed with them in front of our houndgroup, they were just as dead at a fraction of the cost, 41 .243 balls can do a lot of damage in a hurry out to 50 yards, any further grab your rifle.

·
Registered
924 Posts
6-DASHER said:
Save your hard earned money, standard 12 ga 3 in number 4 buckshot will for the most part do the same thing as shells costing ten times as much..
x2
same situation with lights - caveat emptor

1 - 19 of 19 Posts