The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This date in Yankees history
June 6, 1944: As the Liberation of Europe began, 19-year-old Yankees Minor League catcher Yogi Berra was among those present for the Allied invasion, manning a missile boat off the Normandy coast.

Reactions: jimbridger

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
This date in Yankees history
June 6, 1944: As the Liberation of Europe began, 19-year-old Yankees Minor League catcher Yogi Berra was among those present for the Allied invasion, manning a missile boat off the Normandy coast.
Led one heck of a life. Very beloved man. Ten World Series rings? 15 time all star and 3 MVP's, Wow. Stengel once said of Berra "I never play a game without my man,"
Imagine the conversations between those two characters.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Someone asked him once if he ever had a desire to go back to Normandy. He said he didn't as he already saw it.

I had the great fortune of being in Yankee Stadium for two of the Labor Day weekend games in 1961. Before one game he batted a couple baskets of baseballs into the stands for the fans. Yogi hit a home run that weekend. I also remember standing outside the stadium watching several Yankees come out after the Saturday game. Yogi was one. He came out on a dead run....headed for the parking lot. Jumped into a little blue car and pealed off. It was the worst looking car in the lot! :smile_big:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts