The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After freezing my butt off out in my buddies boat last week I've been thinking how nice some hot chocolate would have been... LOL. So my question is for those who use this style cup(preferably the cheaper box store variety) do they keep stuff hot/cold while out in the weather and for how long ?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
After freezing my butt off out in my buddies boat last week I've been thinking how nice some hot chocolate would have been... LOL. So my question is for those who use this style cup(preferably the cheaper box store variety) do they keep stuff hot/cold while out in the weather and for how long ?
I can't speak about those overly expensive drink cups but I have an old Thermos brand stainless 1 qt thermos bottle I bought 40 years ago, it has a dent in it from when it flew off my car roof one night when I was sitting watching a field for poachers and I heard a shot and took off towards the shot forgetting the thing was on my car roof from earlier when I was standing outside the car. So long as I heat the bottle with hot water before I fill it it will keep my coffee hot all day when I am hunting. After about 8 hours the coffee will be less hot but that is because you have to remove the stopper to pour. Not that I can't afford one of those cups but I just refuse to pay what they cost for a cup. That bottle has served me well through waterfowl hunting, deer hunting and on the and took a licking ad kept on ticking. I don't know if you can even buy a SS thermos today that is as good as the one I have. I bought a pint stainless bottle a couple of years ago and it doesn't even keep my coffee hot for 4 hours and it has a pour through stopper. On the other side of the coin I was with a friend last week who jumped in my truck with one of the big Yeti cups in his hand. For the next couple of hours he was complaining about his coffee never getting cool enough to drink. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Anything Yeti does, Ozark Trail does the same for 1/3rd of the price. Check your local Hellmart in the camping section... there should be something there that will fit your need.

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
As one of the guys at my work place years ago came into the office carrying his Thermos and praising the container over and over. He said, "It is amazing: If the wife puts ice tea in Thermos it stays cold and if she puts coffee in it...it stays hot." In an exciting voice he proclaims, "How do it know?"

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
A cup will leak if turned sideways or upside down.

A better choice is a double-walled stainless steel bottle with a cap that seals.

Some of those are expensive, but I bought one at TJ Maxx for about $7.

I haven't tried it with hot drinks, but when filled with ice and cold water, there is still ice at the end of the day, even during the summer.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I have a Yeti tumbler that I use as my coffee cup at work. It keeps stuff warm for sure, but the lid is not leak proof. The Yeti bottles have better lids.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
As one of the guys at my work place years ago came into the office carrying his Thermos and praising the container over and over. He said, "It is amazing: If the wife puts ice tea in Thermos it stays cold and if she puts coffee in it...it stays hot." In an exciting voice he proclaims, "How do it know?"
You actually altered that joke a bit from the original, but you kept the question worded the same which makes me think you heard it the same way I did. >:)

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I have a yeti coffee mug someone gave me as a gift. Its fine if your using it in your truck or at work, but the you can’t put it in a pack, lid would leak. I have a couple of the green Stanley thermos’s, they will keep liquids hot all day. I’ll often fill one with soup if I’m planning a long sit. The lid is used as a cup, works great. As someone else said, I heat it up with hot water before I fill it.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I can't speak about those overly expensive drink cups but I have an old Thermos brand stainless 1 qt thermos bottle I bought 40 years ago, it has a dent in it from when it flew off my car roof one night when I was sitting watching a field for poachers and I heard a shot and took off towards the shot forgetting the thing was on my car roof from earlier when I was standing outside the car. So long as I heat the bottle with hot water before I fill it it will keep my coffee hot all day when I am hunting. After about 8 hours the coffee will be less hot but that is because you have to remove the stopper to pour. Not that I can't afford one of those cups but I just refuse to pay what they cost for a cup. That bottle has served me well through waterfowl hunting, deer hunting and on the and took a licking ad kept on ticking. I don't know if you can even buy a SS thermos today that is as good as the one I have. I bought a pint stainless bottle a couple of years ago and it doesn't even keep my coffee hot for 4 hours and it has a pour through stopper. On the other side of the coin I was with a friend last week who jumped in my truck with one of the big Yeti cups in his hand. For the next couple of hours he was complaining about his coffee never getting cool enough to drink. :grin2:
I have a couple of the old green Stanley's. Well I should say had a couple of the old ones. One was dated 1960 (they used to date stamp them) and belonged to my grandfather. The other I got for gift around 1970.
Both lasted until about 2010 , when within months of each other they stopped keeping things warm all day and were showing some oxidation inside at the bottom. I quit using them and stuck them in the back of the cupboard. Since they had a lifetime warranty, last year I thought I'd see about replacing them. Went on Stanley's website, followed their online claim procedure (easy and fast), and within 2 weeks I had brand new vacuum bottles. ..free of charge. Don't even have to send the old bottle in, just a pic of it. Of course they are now made in China, and I know the new ones will never last 50 years like the originals.

I know a guy that has bought quite a few Stanley bottles at yard sales and flea markets over the years. Gets them for a buck or two....doesn't even bother trying them. Redeems them for brand new bottles.

I never pay for a travel mug either. I just use the cheap one I get for free.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks for the replies... I don't really want to go the "Themos" route. A little too much volume for my needs - just a little sip or two after flying down the lake at 60 to take the chill off ... LOL. Not too worried about spillage from the top as it will be in my hand or a cup holder. Sounds like the Ozark might fit the bill hopefully one of the 5 Wally Marts will have one.

·
Super Moderator
13,414 Posts
The wife gave me a stainless coffee mug which plugs in to avehicle power outlet to keep the coffee warm, but I haven't used it yet....

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
coffee cup

I agree, but I go a bit further. I carry an insulated coffee cup with me. It will keep your poured coffee warmer than using the metal or thin plastic cup on the thermos.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
thermos

I tried that, but it didn't work. I took two popsicles and a cup of hot chocolate in mine. Popsicles didn't fair well, and the chocolate was cold!!!!!:grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My wife bought me a yeti style cup from Tj maxx for 7.99$ said I don’t know how it works. Try it . It does better then her yeti that she won at work.
Has mossy oak on the side. Keeps my coffee warm 4-5 hours anyway.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Oh great, now our website will be held up to ridicule and criticism by militant women with mustaches! :grin2:

Reactions: bohunr
1 - 20 of 34 Posts