The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a decent long beard working for about an hour, hens took him away..
1 hour later got the hens all fired up and called them in, dragging the gobbler with them
Had him 30 yards away and got him to break strut, must of got a little to excited and flinched or jumped the gun, the only thing I put a good shot on was the maple beside him, clean miss luckily .

My ? To you guys is it possible to call him in again tomorrow or any other bird in that spot is it down for a while now? It is public land also.
Thanks all. Good luck ....And shoot straight

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I missed saturday was sitting on a field bored and a pheasant was crowing and looked like t was gonna walk teo feet in front of me i wanted to get a picture all the while i kept hearing this yelping so id imitate it and some soft purrs and cuts well right when i pulled up the camera on my phone to take a picture of this cock bird and looking behind me to get a picture i look forward and to my disbelief three jakes are CHARGING my decoys, im completely out of position, dont have the scope caps open or the red dot on so i do that by that time theyre starting to leave get a shot off at around 15 and i miss and i shoot again and miss. I was disgusted first chance ever at a turkey and i miss, been hunting one for five years, and i get my chance and blow it. Only positive was i called three birds in on public land which i think is pretty cool in itself.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Hey, you have a good story to tell but it's too bad you did not connect. Next time! A day hunting, even with a missed opportunity, is better than a day doing anything else.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, pretty disappointed about it,just because of how the year and my lucks been, maybe next time

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
It could be possible... It's been done before..heck I'm sure guys have missed and called the birds back that day..

Personally I'd give the area a break if possible...but that's just me...

They might come running right in...or they might vacate the area entirely...

My buddy missed one last week...had 3 longbeards and a hen regularly roosting in the same spot...they were in the field right close to the roost when he missed..that evening they roosted on the next farm..I thought it'd be a good hunt knowing they roosted differently and would likely stick to their same habits after they hit the ground...i was wrong...they not the ground and disappeared entirely..I haven't been able to locate them since...

Just never know how they will react to being shot at..

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I missed this morning. Called in a flock of 9 (6 hens and 3 toms) and blew a 30 yard shot on the strutter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts