The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had two 4 x 8 raised beds the last few years, everything in them grows fine. I put a third one in this year. Turned the soil, added a good amount of peat, and two bags of manure. Tomatoes, cucumbers, zuchinni, and brocolli did fine. A row of lettuce started nice, turned light green almost yellow as the bush beans did. Same plants 8' away did fine. Any guess whats different with this soil. I built the other two gardens the same 2-3 years ago, same peat, manure, etc...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Maybe there is some extra peat in that area making the pH too acidic. I know peat can lower pH. Maybe try some lime if you need to raise the pH.

·
Registered
20,675 Posts
Did you build the beds with wood? Maybe something is leaching out of the wood? Guessing, really.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same wood/metal as the other two beds, untreated white pine 2 x 8. Only thing the other two beds have that is a plus is 2-3 seasons of grass clippings. Plus the tomatoes, cukes, broccoli, and zukes are doing great in this one. In fact this bed has the best looking tomatoe plants by far. Guess I'll chaulk it up to learning curve and mix all three together this fall. If its the PH in that small portion that should even it out, I don't see the point in having each 4 x 8 bed tested individually. Thanks for the ideas guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts