The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several hunting shows, seems most were in Texas that the hunters were bow hunting stands of yellow locust. The deer were pounding the area for all the sweet pods that were falling from the trees. My question is, has anyone seen this occur in PA? If so, what part? From what I know about yellow locust, they prefer a more alkaline soil and may not do well in the soil conditions our hunting property has in south central PA as our untreated soil is around 5.7 pH. If I plant a few trees along the edge where we lime the food plot, could that make a difference? If anyone has seen deer utilizing the trees, does anyone know of a good source for wild form yellow locust? I don't want the non spiny, non seed pod bearing cultivars... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have a small one in the edge of the woods in the backyard. It has had the seed pods last year and this year. I have not seen any deer eating on them. I did see a flock of cedar waxwings eating them last week.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
There are Honey Locust around here that get the pods on them and they are a fast growing tree.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, they do grow fast... A reason I like them, I don't have to wait 20 years for them to produce nuts like most oak or chestnuts...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts