The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas i posted about the GSP's but i think i am going to go with a lab for the waterfowl hunting. do any of you know of kennels or breeders from hunting lines within reasonable driving distance from slippery rock PA area

·
Registered
670 Posts
I recently did a lot of looking for quite a while and found a breeder of fox red pointing labs from very good hunting lines that have a mix of American and British strains. I got him in southwest Ohio between Columbus and Cincinnati.
I looked a lot. I felt that I was willing to travel about 5 or 6 hrs each way to pick up a pup.
I can mention a couple of breeders I came across in a private message if you like. The grandfather of my pup on his mother's side was Helms Point Doctor and was mentioned in a 2004 Outdoor Life article on pointing labs. http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=19030

I was torn between getting a lab or a golden and eventually went with the pointing lab. I lost a very good lab mix last October that sometimes held on sitting birds, was very biddable and I wanted a dog that would hunt similarly. I also like to hunt late season waterfowl. Goldens with good hunting lines are harder to find and usually command a significantly higher price. I've read that labs are slightly better as watch dogs compared to Goldens too so that and the shorter fur were length were other factors for me.

·
Administrator
15,719 Posts
buckslayer101 said:
casey, i checked out their website and it doesnt look like they are much into the hunting side of the dogs unless im on the wrong website

The labs I've gotten from them were topnotch hunters on waterfowl and pheasants.

I'm getting another pup from them in a few weeks.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
buckslayer101 how soon are you looking to get a pup ?
I will be breeding my one female next year ! you can't beat them for drive,trainability and temperment !
My dogs are all from great hunting bloodlines !
If your interested let me know because I already have a couple people on my list ! There are several people on here that have my pups !

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
Definitely keep in touch with REDLABS.

I have a pup from him who is 14 weeks old today.

Very, very happy with the little guy so far. Super smart, is taking training like a dry sponge takes water, and has been thriving physically. The vet has been very impressed with him from day 1, including the testing done for his parents prior to breeding.

More than happy to share my experiences so far, or answer any questions you might have and be a reference. I'm sure there are plenty of others who would do the same.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
buckslayer I'm looking probably around May or June !

tdd thank you for the nice words !
As you know I try to do everything I can to fit the right people to the right puppy and find the best homes for my puppies !
If anybody has any questions I will gladly answer them to the best of my ability ! Let me know !

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
Our pup was a great fit for us. And he's 28lbs already, and still lean. He's growing like a weed!

At 14 weeks, he's better trained than 95% of the dogs in my neighborhood, lol.

Just watching him in the yard, his prey drive is strong. He's not shy about noises. He was a tiny bit at first, but now he's a pretty confident and bold little guy.

First field training is Aug 13!

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I'm not going to tell you who or where to buy from but I am going to tell you that you should pick the breeder you want first and foremost. Don't just get a puppy based on "I want one now". Once you pick the breeder, have the patience to wait for a litter. Even if you have to wait longer than you originally wanted. You will be MUCH better off in the long run. From everything I've heard and read about RedLabs dogs I don't think I'd care if I had to wait 2yrs for a pup. I've been waiting several years now for the Wirehair breeding I want and now the breeding is finally tentatively scheduled for February '17. Be smart, don't be impatient.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.