The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to fish yellow creek trout club this weekend. Beautiful area. However, it was packed with fisherman. There were four of us went and landed a total of five fish. I only witnessed two other fish being caught. The negatives about the place are......Every hundred yards or so there are feeders hanging over the stream with trout pellets just waiting to fall. I thought that was crazy. Why feed the fish if you want your clients to have sucess. I ran into a gentleman who said hes been a member for 19 years and we started talking about fishing. I was telling him about the juniata and the hatches they get there and how enjoyable "real fishing" is. He stated, "Why would I go anywhere else when I can always fish here." I truly felt bad for the "upscale" man who can afford to pay 1500.00 dollars a year to catch pellet fed trout. He really does not know what hes missing. All in all, it was a very enjoyable day. Just wondered what others experience was like if they every fished there.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
You have to know what it is when you go their. It is not as easy as it looks. You hit so many fisherman because the stream was just stocked with 350 large trout on Friday. This stream would not even have any trout fishing if the owner did not install the dams. These fish are fed at 4:00 pm and not that much is sent out.

I had fished this in the winter and these monsters would only hit midge patterns and were very selective. Most of these members do not have a lot of time to get out and fish. That is why they like to fish this area. The increased sucess rate can make for a more enjoyable day on the water.

The fishing is best in the winter here with large streamers. There would have been a decent amount of snowmelt over the last few days, which would have dropped the water temperature rather quickly, which in return makes for sluggish fish.

I agree with you that the "upscale man" does not know what he is missing, but if he only gets out a few times a year for a few hours this may be perfect for him.

I am with you that it is more fun to outwit fish on streams like the little J or more natural water, but again you know what you are in for when you choose to go.

What were the fish hitting on that you had caught. Also 50.00 a day is not a bad price to pay to have a chance at catching over 24" trout, and fish an area that just got stocked with 350 trout over 16" long the day before

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You seem familiar with the place. Do you fish there a lot? The only thing we could get any hits on were very large streamers 3-5 inch range with colors blue and silver in them. The amount of slow water is what bothered me. I casted my line and it hardly moved. There were some really nice runs below all the dams but was hard to find a spot due to the amount of people. Also, I watched people fish these runs and didn't see a fish caught. Is this typical for that place? Also, do they ever consider not feeding? Also, the man who made the comment fishes there three times a week according to him. He also told me he had 17 hook ups but only landed 6. I said, "Wow," "How long have you been here?" His reply was, "under an hour." I stayed to watch the guys technique for over an hour. As he sat upon his log........He failed to get a hook up or even a bump! Young guy late 40s early 50s. All in all, I was an enjoyable day and I would love to go back just would not be in my top 10 places to fish. The website is also very misleading as well.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
I think that the big issue was the cold water temps. I do not fish there a lot but i know that those fish may have just been stocked from waters that were considerably warmer, and the shock of adjusting to the cold water may have been a real killer. The runs after the dams would be a great spot to try some czech nymhing techniques. I hope to get out there soon and try these techniques.

The owner has told me his go to fly is a small size 8 bugger with an oversized head. I had luck on crayfish patterns as well.

This stream is also tough with the overhangin hemlock branches. Once the water warms up a bit, or does not fluctuate as much the fishing should improve, as is with all waters right now.

I will let you know how I do. The ammount of food that is distributed is not enough to shut these fish down from feeding in my opinion. I was humbeled on my first time there as well. The stream is tough to get a good drift. When a hatch comes off those trout go insane however.

Other key flies for that stream are copper johns and sucker spawn.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very true about the water temperature change. I couldn't imagine being there for a hatch. With those 20 plus inch trout it would sound like someone throwing rocks in if they were launching for bugs! Thanks for the info. Best of luck this season. The best is yet to come.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Yes, I am more of a winter fisherman though and am sad to see the spring come. LOL

I like how the only thing you hear is the stream, there is no one else out. You can really focus on the stream and your presentations.

It doesnt help that I sometimes get ADD and get distracted by birds. LOL

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have fished there numerous times in the past, although it has been a few years since my last trip. It is nice for what it is, which is a man-made stream full of big pelletheads and the occassional pike or eye.

I have always had the most success drifting junk flies in there. Green weenies and small egg patterns are both killers. Slow stripping buggers or zonkers can also be very effective.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Sounds like some of bowmike's green worms and egg patterns will catch some slabs!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts