The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently do not keep our camp heated when we are not there. We have a wood stove and coal stove, but are considering upgrading to a heat source to be able to keep some warmth in the place all winter. How many of you guys keep heat in your camp all year? If so what temperature? What type of heat?

·
Registered
11 Posts
year round camp heat

I use propane gas log fireplace set at 55 degrees. uses propane and battery to operate. no electricity and works great no matter how cold it gets and we are in 2G area. been using this for past 3 years with no problems.

·
Registered
322 Posts
We use electric heat in all the rooms that have water in them to prevent freezing. We keep it around 55 though. As for propane, just a small warning you will need to keep the camp vented. Propane heat creates moisture, even the ventless models. My buddy found out the hardware when mildew started forming on the ceilings after years of keeping the camp closed and not vented.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
we have both a wood stove and electric heat. In the winter dad leaves the electric heat on low . when we get there and gets the fire going and then turns off electric heat , when we leave turns it back on. Turns it off in May until late September. he keeps it just enough heat to keep it warm inside. We drain our water to prevent freezing if we loose power.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I heat with a propane wall unit and it runs from October 1st to May 1st. I also have baseboard heat that we rarely use because of the expense. I do not drain my lines because we will use the camp in the winter after deer season. When I used the baseboard heat only I was always worried about a power failure and the lines freezing , we also have a wood/coal burner for when we are there . Propane is not cheap but it still runs if the power goes out. I had the propane company put me on a budget plan that makes it more manageable cost wise and a monthly don't skip fill order .

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Camp is only open from April till Dec. i set the main furnace at 50 to keep the pipes from freezing. When at camp we turn on the wall heater and fire up the pellet stove when needed. For 9 months I use 25 bags of pellets and 170 gal. of propane. We pay around $1.30 gal for propane and 5 bucks a bag on pellets

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I shut everything off when I leave my ranch house and just open up the water line in my basement where a washer and dryer would go and then flush all the toilets and Than pour a couple of ounces of RV antifreeze In them. Never had a problem thank God since 2010 when I bought the house.

Also, forgot I flip the breaker off for the Electric hot water tank & water pump

When I arrive in the winter I turn on all my heat sources (Oil heat, propane fire place and electric heat) and then go to town to get something to eat and get supplies. By the time I return house is warm and comfortable enough to enjoy some cocktails

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
I do the same as Joe. I have oil and electric baseboard in addition to the woodburner. I have left the oil on when I know I'm going to return in a week or two but our power goes out frequently and it is a concern. No power no oil or electric heat.

I have more piece of mine shutting everything down and knowing I won't have a problem when I return.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
I go to camp every week, for a couple days, year around. When I’m there I use two wood burners. When I leave, I turn on a couple Electric baseboard heaters. Keeps camp around 53 degrees. I have a monitor there that sends me the temperature every hour to my computer.

·
Registered
10,483 Posts
When I leave, I turn on a couple Electric baseboard heaters. Keeps camp around 53 degrees. I have a monitor there that sends me the temperature every hour to my computer.

Do you know what it costs you to run the baseboard heaters?

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Do you know what it costs you to run the baseboard heaters?
About $150 a month from December- mid March. Heating 2080 square ft. I could tweak heat back some more, but with me there every week, I like it a reasonable temperature when I get there. Gotta figure that the wood burners are heating 2 or 3 days each week, so it would cost more if I wasn’t going there all the time.

Penelec is the service provider.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Bigbrownie , where did you get the monitor for your heaters. If you don`t mind me asking. And are they hard to hook up ? Thanks.
Mine is called a Trak-4 GPS. About $80. Bought it on Amazon. Nothing to hook up. Recharge every 45-60 day with cell phone charger. About the size of a pack of cigarettes. It’s sitting inside a 3/4 full case of Bud Lite here in the kitchen at camp. If someone breaks in, they’re taking the beer. If the case of beer moves, it sends me a message and I can track its whereabouts. Kinda like LoJack on a vehicle. It sends me its location and temperature every hour.

·
Registered
25,477 Posts
Of the people I know with northern tier camps, only one lets the heat/water/electric on all year.

More of a house than a camp, actually. 3 BRs, 2 baths and laundry. Once had propane for the hot air furnace, water heater and kitchen stove. Now it's UGI, since they ran a line back the lane to his place, once a few others back that lane agreed to go with UGI. He's south of Galeton.

Still needs heat tapes for some water lines in one place. He never turns anything off up there. One summer when he was away on a trip, neighbor checked the camp and discovered a fridge full of rotten food. Squirrel shorted out the transformer fuse, no electric for weeks. Have the same issues w/squirrels at my camp, which is why I don't let food in the fridge from spring to late fall.

At our camp, water/electric gets turned back on in April normally, but I never made it up this April due to this virus bleep. Going up this week. Good thing I didn't turn the water on back on in April, since it's been in the 20s several times this spring. Electric and water back in service come spring.

Drain the lines/put RV antifreeze in toilet/traps after fall turkey, turn water back on for two weeks of buck, then everything gets drained, main breaker off until the following spring. That's been our routine since added indoor plumbing in 1984. To each their own. Three plus hour trip to camp, so no one is there for periods of time each year.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Mine is called a Trak-4 GPS. About $80. Bought it on Amazon. Nothing to hook up. Recharge every 45-60 day with cell phone charger. About the size of a pack of cigarettes. It’s sitting inside a 3/4 full case of Bud Lite here in the kitchen at camp. If someone breaks in, they’re taking the beer. If the case of beer moves, it sends me a message and I can track its whereabouts. Kinda like LoJack on a vehicle. It sends me its location and temperature every hour.
Well, if it's Bud Light, it's probably safe from theft:smile_big:.....

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
No. It sends out its own cell signal. You set up a site on your phone or IPad to check data. Email address and a password. I stay logged on and get an hourly update. Not sure if it’s AT&T or Verizon . Can’t remember.

There is supposed to be an annual service fee, paid it the first year, last two Ive not been charged. Here’s a pic of it...I’m gonna charge it tonite.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok, thanks for the info . I'm trying to keep track of the temp in the camp when I am not there. I always thought that I had to have internet for something like that to work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts