The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Z7 (29" 69#) is zipping the arrows really well. So well in fact that my usual set up of 20, 30, 40 yrd pins are too close together and difficult to get a good aim with each individual pin. What are some other yardage settings you guys with faster bows are using?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
50, 100, and 150.

You may want to consider just going with one pin with a 69lb bow.

Now, I can't pull back a bow any heiver than 55lbs because of a disability, but my bow huntin buddy uses one that is 65lbs and he uses just one pin. I can't recall his distances, but when the deer is at....like 30 or 35 yards, he simply puts the pin on the top of the back and the arrow hits the lungs every time.

At first, it may seem odd to you, but a few days of practice and it will be as normal as.....Oh, never mind.

Dave

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
IMO, 1 pin set for 25yards. With that you should be good for anything from 0-40yards aim middle vitals. More pins are just clutter in your field of view. If you want pin for extended ranges, 50+ thats understandable.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I use just one pin out to 30-32 yards, and have the second pin set for 35-40.

Most of todays bows set at 65-70 pound pulls and long draws can use one pin for a good ways...

I sighted my pin in at 20-22 yards dead on, and it is good out to an honest 30 without drop.

I'm pulling 70 back and my draw is 30.5". The bow is a Hoyt Vectrix Plus.

This is a hunting setup...

If you're going with a target setup and want to set it up for the range, you need time and patience on the range to figure out what your bow and your sight/setup need and will do.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been contemplating going with a single pin that is adjustable for use shooting 3d, etc. Guess I will need to go check out some of the options available.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Dusty K said:
I have been contemplating going with a single pin that is adjustable for use shooting 3d, etc. Guess I will need to go check out some of the options available.
Dont waste ur time with an adjustable sight for hunting.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
Buk_Huntir said:
Dusty K said:
An adjustable HHA has worked well for me since I installed it....3 bucks and 1 bear....and I have faith in it this coming year also. Plus I like it at 3D since I can put it on the exact yard I believe the shot is and not have to shoot any gap or KY windage.....

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Born2Hunt said:
Buk_Huntir said:
Dusty K said:
An adjustable HHA has worked well for me since I installed it....3 bucks and 1 bear....and I have faith in it this coming year also. Plus I like it at 3D since I can put it on the exact yard I believe the shot is and not have to shoot any gap or KY windage.....
If there is cross over use between hunting and comp 3d it makes sense otherwise its added bulk that is not necessary. JMO. I had one on my old bow and now its the sight for my carp bow.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I would always have a pin at 20. Too easy to get itchy and shoot high at a close shot. Try pin 2 at 35 and pin3 at 45 or 50. Or you could adjust the pins at a reasonable gap between pin 2 and pin 3, then let the bow tell you where it wants to shoot them. Just practice a LOT with the odd ball settings so it's ingrained in your brain at the moment of truth.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
There isn't a bow on the market that has "NO" arrow drop with 10yrd differences. If you are talking a hunting set-up. Sight in at 25 yards and shoot the over/under method. If your talking comp. 3D get .010 pins and set between 5-7yrd gaps. 18,25,32,39,46 and so on. My 3D bow is shooting 305fps at 56lbs. and my pins are set at 22,27,32,37 and they are 1/8" apart.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Buk_Huntir said:
Dusty K said:
I always felt this way until last year, I went w/ single pin HHa slider. Single pin opened up sight so much & helped w/ seeing target better I could practice out to 50-60 yds. My bow shoots about 310, so for hunting 20 yd pin is good out to about 32yds, but when you have time to range a deer for the 30 + shot , you have time to re-set slider, just got to remember though lol.

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
settler:

You are shooting about 100 fps faster than my hunting set up, but the same sight works very well for me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went with all the bells and whistles HHA with 2" housing. Now it's time for another peep to match the larger housing.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My bow is shooting 318 over the chronograph. I have 3 pins. I have them set at: 20, 30, and 40 yards.

The last pin is for practice only. I see no reason to ever even try a shot at a deer over 25 yards. But to each his own. Apparently some people do not have the values of a hunter.....The values that I was brought up with.

This year, If I get proficient enough, I will leave the compound at home and try my hand with a real bow......An older Bear Kodiak Magnum....Recurve!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sykotik said:
I see no reason to ever even try a shot at a deer over 25 yards. But to each his own. Apparently some people do not have the values of a hunter.....The values that I was brought up with.
And for target or 3d what is wrong with shooting 60 yds? I had no problem killing the target at 60yds every shot although I would not shoot a deer at that range.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts