The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I trust you guys with growing stuff more than the guys at the store. Yard looks bad so advice would be appreciated. I plan on aerating then over seeding. I will do soil test and lime if needed, also use starter fertilizer with Sideron for crabgrass. My question's are - Is it to soon to get started, lime- before / after or at the same time and same with fertilizer. And of course, if my plan's not good what would be best way. Thanks

·
Registered
536 Posts
SOil Test. Then make a plan. Lime as soon as possible according to test.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You can spread lime now. And as soon as the temps warm up just a little, get out and roll the lawn then aerate. You want the lawn to be a little dryer when aerating. Then spread seed and fertilizer. I don't believe you can treat crabgrass when starting seed, it will prob kill the new grass. If the crabgrass is really bad, I would treat that in the spring, then seed later in the year. You have to treat the crabgrass real early, like in the next couple Weeks. Basically, spread the fertilizer with crabgrass halter just as things start to green up. A few days either way could determine success or failure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts