The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a yz426f soon and I believe there's a certain way to start it so if any of you have this bike can you please tell me what the steps are. Thanks

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Ha....I have a 99 yz400f and it has a compression release lever. It is a BEAST to start regardless...I pop start behind quad or use a hill (using compression release) more than I kick start it. Kicking it, u are supposed put choke on...slowly push kick start through the easy compression till it bites, pull compression release before you kick and let it go when you kick. It is a real beast to start, unless its warm...thats for sure.. the manual for the bike has the exact instructions on starting it in this manner. Good luck...mine is a beast of a bike and I am lovin the 4 stroke over the 2strokers I used to ride years ago.
willy

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Do you have any tricks for me? It aint easy bike to start IMHO, though I may need valved adjusted too (though other than starting trouble, it runs great)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what i do is kick the lever until i cant move it at all pull the decompressure lever till the lever is even then bring it up two clicks and give it a big kick starts first kick everytime

·
Registered
646 Posts
I had a 426 and it started on the second kick (cold) EVERY time. When warm 1st kick. I had people get on and kick till they were blue in the face and not get a spit out of it. There is definatly a "technique". Figure it out and these are VERY reliable starting bikes. Mine was...............

-Pull the decom lever in and SLOWLY kick it over until it was JUST past the hard spot "top dead center".

-Release the decompression lever get a "full" bite on the kick start and give it a kick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts