The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shooting a mission endeavor around 57 lbs currently, will Max at 65. Arrow length is 28 1/2. What aluminum easton arrow should I use for deer hunting, and what suggest broadhead weight?

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
You should use the Easton FMJ, if you want something that is aluminum. While not completely aluminum, it is an aluminum/carbon shaft, and a great choice for lower draw weights. The 400 spine is correct for your setup. If you want an XX75, the 2215 is right for you, although I would highly recommend the FMJ over the XX75. I would recommend a small or micro diameter all carbon shaft over both, like the Easton Bloodline 400 or the Gold Tip Kinetic XT 5575. I suggest 100 grain broadheads. Something that is of a fixed blade design will be best with that draw weight. I'm shooting Ramcats. You may want to look into something that is cut on contact like Magnus Stingers.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shootbowtech said:
You should use the Easton FMJ, if you want something that is aluminum. While not completely aluminum, it is an aluminum/carbon shaft, and a great choice for lower draw weights. The 400 spine is correct for your setup. If you want an XX75, the 2215 is right for you, although I would highly recommend the FMJ over the XX75. I would recommend a small or micro diameter all carbon shaft over both, like the Easton Bloodline 400 or the Gold Tip Kinetic XT 5575. I suggest 100 grain broadheads. Something that is of a fixed blade design will be best with that draw weight. I'm shooting Ramcats. You may want to look into something that is cut on contact like Magnus Stingers.
Thanks Shootbowtech!

Just put new string on my bow and was shooting some carbon and aluminum today at club, and just really liked how much more quiet the xx75 was. Someone said that is due to the heavier aluminum..thoughts..

Ramcat, do they make a fixed blade? All i saw on theire site were mechanicals. Wanting to stick with fixed, thinking of QAD Exodus or a Slick trick, but Magnus crossed my mind as well.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
No problem. The XX75s were quieter because of the weight. However, something like the FMJ is nearly as heavy, and will be just as quiet. The only issue with aluminum, even with an aluminum/carbon shaft, is that they can be bent. At that point, the shaft is no good. In my experience, aluminum shafts will bend faster than a good carbon shaft will break.

As for Ramcats, theyre not a mechanical, they are a fixed blade head. Technically they could be a hybrid. The blades do move, but only forward with a large amount of pressure. They're sharpened on both sides, so they cut in both directions if the arrow doesnt pass through. Best broadhead I've ever shot.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Correction, the 400 spine FMJ is exactly the same weight as a 2215 XX75 at 10.2 grains per inch. Something like an Easton Carbon Injexion would be about 28 grains lighter overall than a FMJ or XX75, which is a very minimal difference.

·
Super Moderator
12,812 Posts
308 ruger said:
I'm shooting a mission endeavor around 57 lbs currently, will Max at 65. Arrow length is 28 1/2. What aluminum easton arrow should I use for deer hunting, and what suggest broadhead weight?
Since my last triceps surgery I have been shooting 57 lbs. with my Mathews Switchback with 2413 XX75, 125 grain Thunderheads and quick spin with slight right fletching. I have taken bucks in OH/PA and a 250 lb. black bear in Canada. I have plenty of 2215's, 2314's, 2312's, 2315's as well as other heavier aluminum arrows; however, 2413's group the best for me in my set up. The 2314 also group very well. None of my arrows have uni knocks. They give complete penetration through the chest cavity both in the whitetails and the black bear. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shootbowtech said:
Correction, the 400 spine FMJ is exactly the same weight as a 2215 XX75 at 10.2 grains per inch. Something like an Easton Carbon Injexion would be about 28 grains lighter overall than a FMJ or XX75, which is a very minimal difference.
whats the difference for the gold tips? I assume both these options would be a bit pricier than aluminum a but I will search some prices.

Right now I'm shooting beman ics hunters and looking to upgrade aware that its just a hunting arrow. I will be buying just the shafts, then cutting and fletching probably with blazers.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
In my opinion, gold tip builds a better quality and tougher arrow than Easton. You may even want to look into the XT hunter 5575 and it will save you some money over their micro diameter shaft. The components are also much more readily available than with micro shafts. All will be a bit more expensive than aluminum, but the XT hunters won't be far off.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the input

Happened to be at lancaster archery today so picked up 3 of each: fmj 400, gt xt hunter 5575, 3 gt expedition hunter 5575, and xx75 camo hunter 2315s. I had asked for 2314s and dindnt check tip got back and they cut me 2315s. Will I have any issue shooting 57 lbs 28 inch arrows?

Plan to have a good time testing them in my bow

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
You'll be slightly overspined. If you're going to shoot the 2315s, you'll want to bump up the point weight to 125. Even then you're still a bit over spined. There's really not going to be a difference between the XT and Expedition Hunter Gold Tips. Theyre the same arrow, the XT just has stricter tolerances, hence why it is more expensive. Cut an inch off the back of an Expedition hunter first, then cut the remainder off the front to your proper length, and they have the same tolerances. If you decide to go with the Gold Tips, just buy the Expedition Hunter, its all you need for hunting. Good luck testing!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback.

It's better to be overspined than under though, correct?

I did ask them to cut all the shafts from both ends as I've seen you suggest before.

I love to shoot, so this will be a great time! Lookin at the prices, I'm hoping the best groups don't come from the fmj. lol

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Haha yeah, you probably wont notice too much of a difference in grouping. Theyre all great arrows. One issue you might have though, is that all three shafts have different diameters. You'll have to constantly adjust your rest based on the diameter of each shaft. Its going to create major inconsistencies, and wont create the right results. If you set your bow up for the FMJs, the Gold Tips and XX75s just wont group as well, due to their increasingly larger diameters. It is better to be overspined than underspined. You have quite a project on our hands...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
shootbowtech said:
Haha yeah, you probably wont notice too much of a difference in grouping. Theyre all great arrows. One issue you might have though, is that all three shafts have different diameters. You'll have to constantly adjust your rest based on the diameter of each shaft. Its going to create major inconsistencies, and wont create the right results. If you set your bow up for the FMJs, the Gold Tips and XX75s just wont group as well, due to their increasingly larger diameters. It is better to be overspined than underspined. You have quite a project on our hands...
can you elaborate on what type of adjustments I should be doing to the rest as I go between the arrows? I hadn't thought of anything like that.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'll jump in on this. As the diameter gets bigger you will have to lower your rest slightly to keep your arrow level. This will produce the best groups.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Yes. As RayRay said you will have to adjust the rest down to keep the arrow level as the diameter increases. Depending on what bow you're shooting, you actually dont want the arrow perfectly level. If you are shooting a dual cam bow, it should be set up nock level. If youre shooting a single cam bow, it will tune best from 1/8" to a 1/4" nock high. This is not something you are going to be able to do with your naked eye either. As I mentioned, you've really got a handful with three different arrow diameters. The bow is going to have to be re-setup every time you switch. To adjust arrow level properly, the bow need to be put in a vice with levels so it is perfectly vertical on both axis. Then an arrow level needs to be added to the particular shaft while it is on the string and rest, and then the rest can be adjusted to the specific point youre looking for.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
I just looked back at your original post, and saw that youre shooting a single cam bow, so you should have your arrow setup 1/8" nock high to start. If it doesnt paper tune well at 1/8", move to 3/16", and then 1/4" if its still not perfect.

·
Super Moderator
12,812 Posts
Aluminum has worked on deer for me for 3 decades and hopefully counting. They never know what hit them.

·
Registered
235 Posts
308 ruger said:
shootbowtech said:
Thanks Shootbowtech!

Just put new string on my bow and was shooting some carbon and aluminum today at club, and just really liked how much more quiet the xx75 was. Someone said that is due to the heavier aluminum..thoughts..

Ramcat, do they make a fixed blade? All i saw on theire site were mechanicals. Wanting to stick with fixed, thinking of QAD Exodus or a Slick trick, but Magnus crossed my mind as well.
you cant go wrong with slick tricks if your gonna shoot fixed blades there accurate and they make pretty good blood trails too...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Of the three so far, xx75 and fmj shooting best groups, and of course quietest. I will continue mixing it up over next month, but leaning to these 2. If they're tied in my eyes of course the cost brings the xx75 ahead.

Haven't seen any bending at all, not sure where this damage that folks talk about comes from at this point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts