The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody watching the XFL? Unlike last years AAF, it has so far been watchable. Decent QB and receiver play.
Matt McGloin, former PSUer and NY's QB is having a good game so far.

Crowds at the stadiums are good...this league might manage to stick around a few years.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Anybody watching the XFL? Unlike last years AAF, it has so far been watchable. Decent QB and receiver play.
Matt McGloin, former PSUer and NY's QB is having a good game so far.

Crowds at the stadiums are good...this league might manage to stick around a few years.
I doubt it is around long. How many times has a late winter/spring football season been tried? None have lasted.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This is a good change. If for nothing else than to apply pressure on the NFL to do better. Competition is good and it forces the NFL to make necessary improvement changes. Give it a few years, and I think you will see a migration of very big names and first round drafts electing to play in the XFL..

·
Registered
39,294 Posts
The only way big names and first round draft picks will elect to play in the XFL, is if they pay them more than the NFL. That’s what the USFL did and they got top players like Steve Young and Reggie White to sign. Of course, the USFL folded too.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, McMahon is no dummy, and has been through this before. It appears he may have used his experience in the failure of the first XFL as a learning experience. I look at this reincarnation as a supplement to the NFL, not a competitor. Not for a while, at least. It fills a void during a time of the year when not much is going on, especially for those who are not fans of NBA or NHL.

From what I've seen so far, they have done a pretty good job of finding quality players. The games, as by design, do move along faster. And I wouldn't doubt the kickoff protocol eventually becomes standard from the high school level on up. The original XFL left the sky cam cable cameras as a legacy to the television aspect of the game. If anything, I'd bet this XFL changes the kickoff.

Time will tell....

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
The XFL can’t hope to compete with the NFL. The players aren’t as good and never will be. Right now the face of the XFL is Landry Jones.

The XFL doesn’t get the TV ratings necessary for it to survive.

There will be far more attention paid to the offseason in the NFL than the active season in the XFL.

Some of the rules in the XFL may be adopted by the NFL and some players who play well will likely be picked up by NFL teams, but that’s it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
What I would like to see is good hard nose football. I’d like to see them do away with reviews. Let’s play the game the way it was intended. I saw them talking about football moves and launching , its football !!! They should play flag or touch football if they don’t want hit. It’s part of the reason why the nfl viewership is down.
I did watch some of it . It’s as good as nfl imo and way better then the nba.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Semi watched a game last night for the first time. Had someone explaining the rules. 1, 2 and 3 point conversions seem odd. Only take away for me so far is the officials are not very good or just allow way too much to slide and keep the game moving. Very late hits out of bounds is bush league. Waugh!

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Semi watched a game last night for the first time. Had someone explaining the rules. 1, 2 and 3 point conversions seem odd. Only take away for me so far is the officials are not very good or just allow way too much to slide and keep the game moving. Very late hits out of bounds is bush league. Waugh!

I agree, the officiating is not quite up to par. Hard enough for the NFL to find good ones, let alone a second tier league. Easier to find good players than good officials...it always has been.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What I would like to see is good hard nose football. I’d like to see them do away with reviews. Let’s play the game the way it was intended. I saw them talking about football moves and launching , its football !!! They should play flag or touch football if they don’t want hit. It’s part of the reason why the nfl viewership is down.
I did watch some of it . It’s as good as nfl imo and way better then the nba.
I'm not a big fan of the review either. At least the XFL gets it done much quicker than the NFL. They showed the XFL review process ....it was one guy sitting at a 30" monitor, on the game site, he kept yelling to the guy of camera "is that it, are there any other angles"? "ok, I cant see the ball, not enough there to reverse the call".

The entire review took about 30 seconds , if that. LOL....much more informal and less technical than I would have thought. I'm thinking when the NFL reviews plays in NY, the process may be more involved, but maybe not.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I stop following basketball and wrestling at the collegiate level. In my opinion for the same reason. Waugh!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I only briefly had it on the background while I was taking care of stuff around the house but some of the different rules do seem to make the game flow better. I can't stand watching football anymore unless I have it prerecorded to FF through all the commercials and jibber jabber.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I did nt get to watch any of it due to alot of stuff going on this weekend. Trying to compete with the NBA is one of there biggest problem,alot of fans love playoff basketball and kids love that game. not sure if they go into the NBA playoffs but there ratings will tank come NBA playoff time if it does. As far as hockey goes,its big here and in Philly due to past success in those franchise but not across the country. It will never compete with the NFL,but may get some guys a shot at the NFL. I hope it does enough to stay afloat but highly unlikely. One thing i do know is id like to have McMahons $,he sure does like throwing it around,hoping he can dethrown the NFL,which won t happen!

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
The average XFL player's salary is $55,000 which includes the base pay along with a bonus for being active during each game, per Pro Football Talk. The minimum in the NFL is 480,000. I don't think they are going to steal talent from the NFL. Waugh!

·
Registered
39,294 Posts
$55,000 is the average, so some make less. Risking injuries that could possibly last a lifetime. Crazy. Heck, even the NFL minimum isn’t a lot of money after paying an agent and taxes.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The NFL has been around for a very long time which is why they can pay a minimum of $480k. Give it a few years and it will absolutely compete with the NFL.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Seemed like some pretty good football during the parts of the 2 games that I watched on Saturday. Good chance for some guys to show off their talents.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts