The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a xbow this week, do not want to spend more than $600 on one, what bows are out there in that range ,that you guys like?thanks
Joe

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I have a Horton Ledgend. Been shooting it for years, whitetails, mule deer and even an antelope or two. Good bow right price.
Try the Horton CB612 - Legend HD 175 Crossbow / Scope Package sells for about $450-500. It includes everything you need except a target, and a bow stringer.
Best value. we have three in the family, all are great hunter's bows.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a Horton Summit 150...it's not that fast but still very consistent. For the price it works great! Harry, I heard that the new production Legend 175s have been having problems with the limbs or something like that...a lot of recalls...that's what I've read anyways.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Parker Buck-Buster 175 sells for $599.95 and comes with a lifetime warranty. Check the price and warranty, you won't find better bows for the money than in the Parker line. All Parker bows are made in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
If you are talking $600 for a package bow then I would recommend the Parker BuckBuster lineup. Fast and dead solid reliable. Lifetime warranty with excellent customer service.

I see Arrowhead beat me too it.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
I gotta stay away from this forum for awhile
...I am adding one or two crossbows to the family aresnal for 2010, you guys get me all excited before i get it all saved up....LOL

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
I got the parker buckbuster from arrowhead, great bow highly recomend

·
Registered
705 Posts
You can get an Excalibur Exocet at Sportsman Supply in Butler for around 600. I have the Exocet and its great.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Falls, I've not heard that. Our bows are older 7-5 years with lots of use. No problems, and Horton has had a great reputation.Mine basically shoots dead on out to 35 yards the way it is sighted in with the red dot Truglo.

A friend has the lowest cost Horton (forget the model) he is on his 5 deer with it. He got a 170+ point buck, just fantastic. no problems.

The newer models have a new great pull trigger, like a rifle. mine is the older style, the factory said I could get a new style for $35, but this is fine for me. I have the graphite rails and they really requir no lube.

Like most x-bows the Hrorton is a compound x-bow. I did heare that the straight x-bows (not compounds) are hard to draw. I can draw mine in my tree stand, and usually do after taking a shot before I get down. that would be a consideration. I had Open heart surgery and have a 12 inch scar on my chest, so I can't just hold to my ribs and draw back, I use the loop on the bow portion.

good luck Falls with the 175.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I should say that because of PA and other states making x-bows legal, the manufacturers have all raised the prices outragously. as compoound boxs are htting the bottom. Next year fall, I'll probably buy a compound regular bow when everyone is changing out (good prices on close-outs).

Should say, there were some fantastic buys on semi-recurve target bows when the compounds were made legal.

always behind the curve!

·
Banned
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks to all the replies, will consider all suggestions , but will test shoot first
Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
Jbiz said:
You can get an Excalibur Exocet at Sportsman Supply in Butler for around 600. I have the Exocet and its great.
Are bare Exocet 200`s really 600 now ? I paid 389 for mine about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Bare bows in the low 5's give or take. By the time you put on what you want, you'll be in $700.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Hunting products are things you want.Almost everyone will pay more for things they want than those they need.Saw it many times.People will run bald tires or starve to get what they want over what they need.That drives up prices on "wanted items".Fast movers anyhow.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
I would like to add to you.If you buy an Excalibur you will save money down the road.You will be able to change your own string and there are no cables to replace.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I just bought believe it or not a crosman, it is a 175 and shoots at 317 fps. it comes with a quiver, 3 carbon bolts, lighted recticle scope, sling, and shooting sticks for $499.99. If interested send me a pm and I can tell you where I got it, since you are not too far from me.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
We sell the Crosman too. I'll even throw in some custom arrows with your package. We sell nearly every brand of crossbow, and I can usually beat any deal. I may not be able to beat thier price, but I will put something extra in to beat thier deal.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts