The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am looking for a good review on a X-Bolt Long Range Hunter Realtree Max-1. I like the specs and duracoat stock.I am thinking about ordering one in 300 wsm. I currently have rem 700 in that caliber but constant cycling problems and now the recall is having me thinking about moving on.

Here is my question. I don;t think my rem 300wsm recoil is bad. I have shot an older browning a bolt in 308 that felt worse. How is the recoil with the new x-bolts? Ps... I do not want to put a brake on it.

Also, if anyone has the dura coat stock, how easy it to sand extra room. I am not a huge fan of stainless and probably would teflon coat it.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have an x bolt in 30-06 and even with hot handloads its comfortable to shoot. I shoot a lot of 12ga slugs, so recoil isn't a big issue for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a Browning A-bolt in 300wsm. Using 165gr projectiles loaded on the top end, the recoil is much harder than my Rem 700 in 300wm.

That being said, my A-bolt can group bullets smaller than a Chew can at 300yds. Out performing my Rem 700 hands down.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
DonDi said:
The short magnums have feeding problems.
Have you experienced that, or just repeating what you heard on the net? Are you referring to Brownings specifically, or short mags in general?

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is not based on personal experience but repeated in reviews by people who have good reputations. If you look at the case itself its not to hard to figure out. Compare a 300 Winchester magnum with a 300 wsm side by side and see what I mean. It should be obvious which one would feed better.

No it is not limited to Browning and is an issue across the board.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts